Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Just curious...why is steel not used?

Both Slatta and Amber....why not in your areas?

Gees....I've even set steel beams by hand - walking up a ladder.

we build them just like slatta does. pony walls on top of strip footings

we will do them post and beam too, however, we have had too much trouble wiht beams twisting, checking, cracking and different size

yes its more money to do a pony wall on strips

Amber, the area I build in is similar to the Mobile area in climate. If possible, I will put the joists on top of the beams. Sometimes, if adding on to an existing house, you will not have enough ground clearance to meet modern codes, and must put the joists in hangers nailed to the beam.

I agree that the best way to do a crawlspace is with concrete stemwalls and pony walls with the joists on top.

However, in the Mobile area you are also likely to be trying to match the surrounding architecture, which consists of thousands of houses, 2 foot off the ground, on brick or block piers.

I usually use a beam built up of 2X's, with a 1/2" plywood flitch plate, with the joists on top.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what kind of uplift requirements (strapping, anchor bolts,etc.) is Alabama requiring on a floor system like this in the Mobile area?
    Leslie Sapp
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified Roofing Contractor
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ver. X5 Build15.2.0.87x64
    http://www.lesliesapp.com
    homes@lesliesapp.com

Slatta,

I am learning to design my house. Would you elaborate on your statement:

"we have been doing 2 x 4 pony walls on strip footings for years in the northwest"

I do not understand and can not visualize what you said. A picture would help me a lot.

Thanks

For the cost,a laminated 2x beam with joist sitting on top.Joints staggered.
    I used to build it on the foundation and drag it across,have a machine to pick it up now.
    Solid beams were good when you got straight lumber..
    Chris is thinking high end houses..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEAM.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	6632  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

Chris, I think there are several reason "we" don't use steel beams,

costs more I think
    our lumber yards do not carry them so you have to go somewhere else to get them
    workability issues for the crews too, harder to cut etxc. generaly unfamiliar

if someone just had to have a post and beam i just callout 4 x 10 df#2 and hope they send out some good ones, ususally aren't too bad to use for a crawlspace

Patrick, i attached a pony wall detail for you
    Attached Files Attached Files

I used to be skinnier before I got this. But I'd rather have a better back,not that young anymore .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BEAM (Medium).jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	6635  

Allen Colburn Jr.
    Pascoag RI 02859
    Residential Design Drafting/Framer

Drafter for:
    http://www.artformhomeplans.com/

Chief Architect X4

I'm thinking the termites would go nuts on that pony wall..........and just as I was thinking this the Termite Guy called to come out for my anuall inspection..........If I done a pony wall it would have to be brick/block no wood closer than 24" min. unless it slab on grade and that and they still want 8" from the dirt. We live in bug PARADISE. And yes everyone seems to build two/three feet of the ground unless its a flood zone.

Hurricane strapping is a big thing here as I'm sure it is where ever you are in Florida. 110 mph, entire exterior sheathing, 1/2" anchor bolts @ 32" o.c., strap at everyother stud (32" o.c.) at base plate, strap at rim board @ 64" o.c., hold down anchors at all four extreme corners and any wall that projects out greater than 8'-0",straps @ each cripple stud around windows & doors & at jack studs, straps at every rafter to stud, wind collar at ever set of rafters, gabble endwall diaphrams, and theirs more but..........I'm sure you guys in florida have a list as well......and we have other means that we can do as well. The go-bolt system is becoming more & more popular. It's easier on the finish material, not hitting all that metal straps on the studs when you hang the gyp. board or putting in the base boards.

Quote Originally Posted by slatta
    Chris, I think there are several reason "we" don't use steel beams,

costs more I think
    our lumber yards do not carry them so you have to go somewhere else to get them
    workability issues for the crews too, harder to cut etxc. generaly unfamiliar
    wow. thanks.

yes - steel costs more than framing beams. but, i'm willing to go the extra bit and put in steel in my basement. and if need-be in the floor walls as well.

no- the lumber yards dont carry them - so i go to a steel mfgr. they make, cut, deliver & set for me. All i do is give them the size, length & number of columns.

thanks for the answers....i thought maybe there was somehing i didnt know about steel these-days. but...i'll stil to using steel.

Slatta,

Thanks for the pony wall Cad detail.

Re-read the thread again, I now understand. Instead using post and beam as a means to bear load, you just use 2x4 wall and required footing. The "pony" wall causes me to think it's some kind of special load bearing wall that I should know. The pony wall that I know is the one defined by CA.

Thanks

Amber,

yea bugs would be bad for the wood, we do have some but more moisture related like powder post beetle, termites are starting to be mentioned here once in a while, but I do not think I have ever seen one, i have seen some big ants that might be carpenter ants but cannot be certain, it would cost a lot more but the whole sysetm could be built with pressure treated, as far as I know bugs won't eat pressure treated wood.

WHAT IS A GO BOLT SYSTEM?

patrick, you got it, and it can be a special load bearing wall, often times it will be sheeted on one side and used as a shear wall in the crawlspace, especially if it transferiing interior shear wall loads

chris, yea we would probably use it more if we had someone like you that liked it, I just try and do the plans like they want it for instance i ask hwta headers people like to use and its all over glu-lams, 4 x 8 , dbl 2 x10, thats how I got tio the point where most people were doing this bearing wall thing, most people were going for that

Slatta

Check out www.go-bolt.com, its an allthread rod system that goes from foundation to top plate and is bolted down. Contractors like it. it's faster & easier - cost more but requires less labor & no nails. So you really come out about the same when you pay the bills.

That ponywall would have to be of kiln dried lumber or it'll worp & twist.

Amber