Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I can't really see a difference, although I haven't compared them really closely. I did it because Adam asked for it...and I didn't have any other raytracing I needed to be doing these couple days. Otherwise I wouldn't have even thought about doing it. I normally only do Low Rad, but I do often go 1.5 or 2x my screen size and then shrink it down. I've found that is faster, and seems to get just fine results. The few times I've gone bigger or with higher radiosity is when I've had a big project like a church where they need a large image for a big meeting. Normally I just do residential and only give the clients 8 1/2x 11 photo paper colored renderings (raytraces) and/or 11x17 greyscale. So my original doesn't need to be that huge or that detailed for those formats. In the last year or so, I don't think anything I've done for a normal client has been more than a couple hours. And since I've gotten this dual core computer (December), most interiors only take about 1-2 hours, and exteriors about 20 minutes or less. And of course I can work on lots of other programs while the raytrace is running.

Christina

Christina:

Ditto.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Christina, based on your excellent results and helpful information in this thread on how you set up and execute your renders, now more than ever, I am convinced that Chief's renderer can generate excellent results in reasonable time for large renders. And so, I for one, will not be chasing rainbows with other software solutions on the rendering which I am only about to embark on for my business requirements.

If you have any suggestions to offer to Chief Architect Inc. with regard to improvements, I hope that you do so for everyone's benefit. Thanks again.
    ggodwin

Christina,
    It looks fantastic! I didn't compare the low to med rad yet, but the final product looks wonderful. I agree, it's probably not worth the extra zillion hours, although if it were an exterior it would be more obvious. Once you put in on the FTP site I'll send it to Meredith Corp. Thank you so much for all your time and effort!
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

I like the new refrigerator too. Just noticed that.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Glad you like it. I tried to put it on the ftp site last night, but it just showed the picture when I dragged it - it didn't seem to do it how I expected, so I'm not sure if it went on. So I also emailed it to you.

Christina

You emailed the jpeg, which looks great. I love being able to zoom in super tight with no pixilation. However, I need the PSD file, which I assume is quite large. You should be able to simply copy to the FTP site. You may need to log in again. I can't send the magazine a jpeg without getting laughed at.

PSD is a native PhotoShop Document.
    Last edited by alobartn; 05-26-2006 at 06:42 AM.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

I finally figured out why the ftp site didn't work as I expected - it was because I was using Firefox browser and I didn't have some plugin. I went to Explorer and then it worked just as I expected. It is uploading now...

Christina

OK, got it. I added a few lighting highlights to the PSD, but very little. It really looks great. I'm posting it on the FTP site for those who have accessed it. Thanks again!
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Christina & Adam, - I looked at the full size image and it is excellent. Since I generally print at 150 dpi, you could actually take your 300 dpi raytrace and double it to 5400 x 3600 pixels for a 36 x 24 inch print. We're not talkin' wallet-size here! This is one fine render. Thanks again for all the insights.
    ggodwin

I'm going to have to try that! I'll get some photo paper that large and give it a whirl.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6