Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printing 2d Documents in Full Color

Is anybody doing this now? The price to print in full color has dropped recently, and is about $6.00 per sheet at my local print house. I've seen one example of it and was very impressed. Plus chief has soooo much color data, that it only makes sense to start creating permit and construction documents in color.

Is this being done now and is there any standards??
    -=JT=-

Before I bought CA I did a couple colour fdtn drawings, they were very complicated for post and beam house that had many levels of concrete. I created a legend to show yellow=-8" , blue=-20" etc. The concrete forming contractor practically danced around the site.
    Other than that I don't see much of a need for it that can't be acheived with different line types - maybe asbuilt and new walls etc.

Paul

No standard that I am aware of - but color prints could enhance the readability of plans. I wouldnt put the idea down. But also keep in mind - who is reading what prints....Everyone doesn't need a color print.

My framers however, do so enjoy when I give them color prints of floor joist and roof trusses. The plans will defer. between beam, truss, joist etc via different colors....
    CA User since 1997.
    Current: V10, X1, X2

The need is the overlay of lots of 2d information. A foundation print with a Chief floor framing layout on top of it, get very busy, very fast. Sure the screen and light weights is the gold standard, but if that was the case, then Chief would not display in color for us. We use color when drafting to make it easier to construct the drawings, why not for the house?
    -=JT=-

most certainly - if the color is definable and makes the plans more readable - than by all means print in color....

i am sure it would help.
    CA User since 1997.
    Current: V10, X1, X2

$6.00 per sheet at my local print house

If you are going to start doing color then consider buying the
    HP 110 Plus at $995 - $110 rebate = $885 (till July 31)

The NR version with roll feed is $500 more.

If you can use 13 x 19 then check out the HP 9800 for $262 at Amazon.

I would be worried going to a print house and having them do sheets at $6 per only to find there an error, etc.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    $6.00 per sheet at my local print house

If you are going to start doing color then consider buying the
    HP 110 Plus at $995 - $110 rebate = $885 (till July 31)

The NR version with roll feed is $500 more.

If you can use 13 x 19 then check out the HP 9800 for $262 at Amazon.

I would be worried going to a print house and having them do sheets at $6 per only to find there an error, etc.

Lew
    My reprographics house charges $6 per 18X24 color sheet and $3 for every copy after that! I would still do check prints first, but that is so resonable I'm going to make the switch on the next project. What I've started doing now it to add perspective views along and on the same sheet as my elevation drawings (especially on remodels). They looked good in black and white, but will look amazing in color! The price is now right.
    -=JT=-

I'd still consider buying your own printer

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I print all my CD's in color on a HP 100plus. I put a 3d exterior view on the cover. The plan is in color so that items like window and door schedule color matches the window and door label color. It makes it quick and easy to find what you are looking for in a busy plan. Elevations are still a black and white cad, I really don't see the need for color on those. Electrical is in color, phase is in red and audio/video in green. There are many advantages to printing in color and I try to make use of them.

Chris Smithson

I will print PDF's in color when I email them or put them on CD for a client, but when printing a hardcopy...I just go black & white. It copies better too.

Obvious advantages to printing in color, but again, are there any standards out there that subs use?

For instance, I'll sometimes see an electrician's markup of my b/w plan. Maybe 3-4 different highlighter colors over the symbols I've drawn (switches, outlets, communication...).

I just did a set that was mostly b/w & grayscales, but with electric all red to "make it more legible."

I suppose my concern is that in trying to be more user-friendly; I'm actually making it more difficult.

Any thoughts?

THanks....
    John

John Jones Architect llc
    Westport, CT

(203) 227-9817 jjallc@optonline.net www.johnjonesaia.com
    X5 latest; Samsung series 7 Chronos touch, Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, AMD Radeon 8770m 1G, yada yada yada
    Blessed with 5 adorable children - Psalm 127!

My plumbers & electric plans have touch ups in color. I still print in B/W but I will go over them with highlighters for them so they have a reference for hot.cold water & what not....

I also will over-lay color highlights when estimating and bidding....

But printing in B/W is my standard...

I think that if we choose to start using color, We are in the forefront and can set the standard. I've also noticed that GC and Subs all use color highlighters to mark and identify the set with color to denote their issues of interest. I suspect that even with color prints they would still do that. So from my point of view, I would simply choose colors that make sense for me, and make the drawings pop.
    -=JT=-

Some municipalities will not accept color CD's for the permit process. I've always printed in color in the past, but last year submitted a set to the City of Sacramento, CA and my entire 3 sets were rejected for being in color, black and white only (grayscale OK).
    George VanDusen, CPBD, CKD, CID
    Phoenix Construction
    www.phoenixconstruction.com
    Contr. Lic. #268157

HOUZZ link: http://www.houzz.com/professionals/s...cramento%2C-CA

-Certified Professional Building Designer
    -Certified Kitchen Designer
    -Certified Interior Designer
    -Engineering Contractor
    -Building Contractor
    -Plumbing Contractor
    Since 1971

Chief X4, X5

MOBO ASUS Rampage III Black Ed.
    PROC Intel Core i7-990X 4.22 GHz
    MEMORY 12 GB Corsair
    GRAPHICS ASUS GTX 590 3GB, Dual-GPU
    MAIN DRIVE OCZ 480GB SSD.
    STORAGE OCZ 960GB SSD.
    OS Win7 Pro 64 bit.

Stupid backwards thinking building departments are always holding us back:mad:
    -=JT=-