Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ICF wall creation question

I thought I would try my hand at creating a new wall type for an ICF by Nudura. I created the wall to their specifications and this is what I get with my interior walls. Is there a trick to this? I copied Siding-4 and made my changes to the copy. Why does it look weird?

I tried to do a search in the forum and found nothing on this. I typed icf and ICF and nothing came back.

Help!! Thank you
    Angela
    vX2 (latest and greatest)

Angela - Did you mean to post a picture? I have set up ICF walls with not problem - drywall inside, foam insulation layer, concrete, outside foam, siding or stucco on outside. Maybe more info on your problem would be helpful.

John

oops. I sure did. here it is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	concretewall.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	6091  
    Angela

Looks like you don't have the main layer defined the way you want it. I usually set the concrete as the main layer. This way, interior connecting walls go all the way to that layer, which is not the way it works in real life, but it is easier to line things up and dimension.

John

how do I set the concrete as the main layer?
    Angela

Got it. Thank you John!!
    Angela

ICF Walls

I would suggest not using on the layers for your plans except in your CAD details. I used to do it the way you are and I discovered that it makes the drawings (plan views) way to busy plus you have the problem of the interior walls extending into the wall unless you change settings. I do ICF work almost all the time and do not mess with showing all that stuff in plan anymore. My ICF wall definition has the outside finish material, the ICF wall (the product I design with typically is 11.5" thick), and drywall on the inside. The ICF distributor always calculates product needed for each job so I don't worry about it for a materials list calculation. If you prefer to show all the detail, you might want to cleanup the interior wall intersections as a last step - that way you can keep your main layer to the outside for all your dimensioning.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curt, which product do you use may I ask? If the wall is 11.5" thick, do you in your design make the rooms a little larger for the space that the ICF takes up, or do you just absorb it and the rooms are about 7" smaller physically?
    Angela

If the wall is 11.5" thick

Angela:

You could create a new wall def. cloned from another wall def. (say brick-6) and set the thickness of the main layer as needed.

Or you could use the default concrete or default framing walls
    and set the thickness as needed on the general tab of the wall dbx.

Then in the layout create a cad detail that defines how the ICF wall is to really to be built.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Use my wall defs

I placed a set of wall def's on the portal. They're for PolySteel ICF walls but you could easily modify them.
    John O
    V10.06a

Angela: I have been designing with Arxx ICF's for several years. It is a great product, we have a great local distributor who has helped me with my design work, and Arxx has lots of technical information for architects and designers. There are getting to be more and more good ICF products out there - you may have a different product in your area that is used more than others. Check around and see what builders are using and then contact the manufacturer and see what kind of technical information and CAD details they have available. Regarding the thicker walls, I always tell my customers that, if they want the space on the inside of their desired plan, then the outside dimensions will have to grow at least a foot. Actually, it depends on what the footprint looks like - if there are two or more alcoves, the plan might grow by two feet. When I design, if possible, I try to design with dimensions that are friendly for the builder. Since Arxx's ICF webs are 8" on center, I try to design so that the block cuts always occur in the center between webs. Lots of times this isn't possible depending on the number of corners in the design (especially 45 degree or other angled corners) and/or what the customer wants. I have made up my own dimension charts based on 8" increments. Having help build several Arxx houses, I know how much more efficient the blocks can be installed with centered cuts (but, it doesn't have to be this way either). Usually, cuts around windows and doors land where they land and there isn't any sort of planning you can do to make cuts land where you would like them to. One thing I really like about ICF's is that there is very little wasted materials if one is aware of what unused cut pieces are laying around as the job progresses. Good luck with your ICF design work.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

I've done a couple of ICF foundations (designed for) and had an engineer involved on one as I needed a steel beam designed to hold up a concrete floor (room under a garage) ---
    Well,,, his opinion was "ya just don't know what the concrete looks like inside those forms ----"

Look at the snap shot of the bump out for the beam support as an example --- serious honey coomb problem there ---

Otherwise - the foundation system is great --

Darn, I can't find that shot -- oh well -- here's a shot of the footings -- :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	footing1-72dpi.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	6163  

After designing and building 70,000sf of ICF homes, I can say that honeycombing is not a problem - if you follow the manufacturers advice and good building practice. Any engineer that is worried about "what's inside" is actually expressing doubts about the builder. ICF lends itself to DIY'ers. they always run into trouble trying to "keep it cheap".
    You need a professional bracing system & concrete tools- vibrator etc.
    If the manufacturer doesn't have tapes, manuals & most likely a live distributor - find another one. If you need help let me know.
    Always design from the inside out unless setbacks are a problem.
    John Nimphius
    ADVANCED DESIGN
    Charleston, SC

70,000 sf -- wow, that's a big house

I must say, if I was to build I'd seriously consider ICF as an option -- but I wouldn't hire the contractor I referred to on this job -- (he left a pond of water in the grage floor as well -- didn't know how to slope the floor I guess)

Recently went to a seminar on Self Consolidating Concrete. This product, although slightly more expensive, would be IDEAL for ICf's. It "flows" and does not need vibration - thus NO honeycombing. Used heavily in the pre-cast induastry.
    Mike