Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

How to Not changing the Default layer set

I make a new layer set ( named Presentation_only) with a purpose to make change in the plan that will not affect the plan in the Default layer set.

That's my intent !!!. but whatever change i made in the plan in the layer set Presentation_Only, the plan in the Default layer Set changed the same.

How do I create a layer set for that purpose ?.

Thank for your help

If the Modify All Layer Sets box is checked, it will modify all. If you've already sent the plan to layout, that set will be displayed.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Patrick and Adam,

Modifying all layers will not help! Layers and layer sets only deal with LAYERS and the layer sets only lets you modify the layers in that set so that you can view different layers in the plan differently. Changing the plan is a totally different matter. If you need to show a different plan, then you need to have a different plan file. You can not alter walls in a layer set and expect that change to be in that set only. Remember, layers and layer sets only deal with layers...not changing walls or anything structurally.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Okay Patrick,

I just had a good talk with Louis about this and he said that I'm not totally right. In a different layer set, you can add additional walls and put them on their own layer so that you can turn them on and off in different layer sets. However, you need to watch for room definitions changing. Doing it your way in the layer sets may be okay for additional interior walls but may not apply for moving exterior walls or moving interior walls. I don't think I would even do it if I were adding a room (exterior walls). You need to be careful on what walls you're doing this to. Also, you can do the same with windows and doors. Items like cabinets or furniture are no problem doing this. I do this all the time with furniture and/or symbols. If you change exterior walls, it may change on other layer sets. I personally don't do this for structural changes. I know I wouldn't do it.

On another note. If you could be more specific on the changes you want to see in the different layer sets, then that would be helpful. The more specific, the better.

I'm sure Louis will correct me here I don't have something right.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

If you make a change to wall A, that wall has been changed, and it doesn't matter what layer/layerset it is on.

The layers/layersets control what is to be displayed.

Some if you place wall B somewhere in the plan you can have that wall display or not as needed. Thus, I have modeled an existing house and then modeled an addition and placed the walls etc for that addition on their own layers and can then display the house or the house + addition or just the addition,

That is with some caveats, floors and ceilings and a few other structural items can't be assigned to other layers so all flooring are either on or off, but individual floors can't be controlled. It's all or nothing.
    Due to this, it is not possible to make a room completely invisble via layers.

Also, I tried to modify a wall that was having a large window demo'd and replaced by two smaller windows. I assigned the existing wall and window to a new layer and then made the changes and assigned that wall and new windows to another layer and Chief would only display the latest version of the wall after that. I fooled around a bit but couldn't find a way to have two versions of a wall ocuppy the same space even if they were on different layers.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew, I don't believe that you can have two walls ocuppy the same space. In my post, I was mainly trying to say that I believe you can hide new walls added to an existing plan with layers or maybe I should say display those new walls differently in different layer sets. I believe that if you move existing walls, it will change in all sets....not sure. I'll have to try this. I don't use layer sets this way.
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 04-30-2006 at 07:48 PM.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

I don't believe that you can have two walls ocuppy the same space

Tommy:

I agree, I tried to do it and it wouldn't work.

I think Chief should allow this if the walls are on separate layers. Chief should create a work space area then build the house based on the layers that are "on". If a layer is "off" Chief should totally ignore it.

Hopefully, a future version will give us total layer control.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

How to Not changing the Default layer set

Hi Y'all .

I did not check the "Modify all layer set" . that 's why it baffles me that change I made in Presentation layer set affected the Default Set.

I have not attempted to change anything structure-wise. I replaced couple symbol with texture "faked symbol".

I like to have the faked "texture symbol" in the presentation_set for realism effect, and the standard architect symbol in the Default set which is the working set where I get all input for layout.

Other words: Is Ca designed to allow user to switch from global change ( change in one layer set affecting all set) to local change( change affect only in the set being altered) .
    The box "Modify all layer set" seem to indicate that CA default to local change. But I did not check that box and CA still acted globally.

Is using Layer/ layer set is the right tool to attain that purpose ?.

Ofcourse I can export the plan to another name to work around. But that's not the question .

Thank you for your insight

Patrick,

It sort of sounds like this is a symbol issue. One having different textures assigned to the same symbol. I believe I would make a copy of the original symbol and assign the different textures and then put that new symbol on a different layer (new layer). Then you can have layer control (symbol control) for each layer set.

BTW, If you do it this way, put your faked symbol in the new layer set. As soon as you place your new symbol and assign it to a new layer, that new layer will be on by default. Check "modify all layer sets" and turn off the new layer so it doesn't show on all layer sets. Then uncheck "modify all layer sets" and turn back on that layer so it will be in that layer set. Now it will only be on in that layer set only. Do not leave "modify all layer sets" checked.
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 05-01-2006 at 05:04 AM.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Patrick,

First, you might consider making a copy of your default layer set, call it "Basic Set" or something, and then you will have more control over it. I have loads of very specific layersets, and I never use the default set.

Secondly, in your layerset "Presentation" add a layer called "Fake Symbol". Copy all the symbols you want to replace on to that layer. (Keep the originals in place). Then just select the symbols on that layer to change. These symbols will not longer have any connection to the non-Presentation symbols, so if you move one, the corresponding one will not change.

The other way to do this, which might be easier, but depends on how many changes you make at the end... Do a file "save as" and just have a second file for Presentation and then you can globally change the symbols and anything else.

Christina

actually you can get two walls to occupy the same space ....here is a quick example:

with all layers on...

now you can figure out how i did it..all in chief no graphics manipulation involved
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 05-01-2006 at 07:53 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

Thanks Tim:

I'll check this out tonight as this will be very nice to know how to do.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Thanks Tim, and Christina.

I study them tonite.

Well, I played with it some and I'll try again tonight but I'm not having much luck with it.

I created the wall and window layers and layerset for remodel and
    I can get the target wall to be on one layerset or the other but not both ?

I tried to do an edit area and clone all 4 walls and then have a set of walls on each layerset but that began to take more steps than I was willing to do for this procedure. I'm sure I was going about it wrong so I'll try again tonight.

The problem as I see it is to have 3 walls of a simple 4 wall house display with either the default or remodel layerset and then the target wall should probably be cloned so that orig wall can be on the default layerset only and the clone on the remodel layerset. At the moment I haven't figured out how to achieve that.

Too tired, too late, I'll try again tonight

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

I studied Tim's Gif animator and tried:

Copy cat Tim's procedure, I can create the "showing" or "not showing" on the same wall by turn on or off a correct layer in the layer set.

It confirms my guessing that CA layer and layer set tool is not designed for my intended use.

No matter how may layer or layer set you create, their ( layer/layer set ) contents ( wall, door .....,symbol) is the same for all layer/ layer set.

In other words, a wall in layer set A is the same wall in layer set B. And any change that you make to that wall while in layer set A shall change the same in layer set B, because it's the same wall. You may make it( the change) not "show" up by turning the layer in the layer set off, but the change is there .
    Presently, CA only has a global change in layer set. The CHECK BOX: "Modify ALL Layer Sets" just add to the confusion.

Wish list for CA 11 : add a control function to allow user to turn on/off Global and Local change in Layer set.

Thanks for any insight on this layer/layer set function.