Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Richard--

Can you elloborate on the layers changing for you...here are the results I get:

If I add text, then change the default layer to something else. Then later on I decide to add an arrow, (with out double clicking and changing the defaults each and every time), the arrow does not assume the attributes of the text. If I add text and add an arrow immediately following without changing layers. No problem, but If I decide to change the layer later, then I open text change the layer, but the arrow doesn't change layers. So now I have to open the arrow and change its layer also. I can't think of a time I would ever want this behavior. Yes I can multiple select etc., but this should be done automatically.

Are these the results you are getting, or am I missing something.

to all in general--

Is there anyone who wants the text to be seperate from the arrow? I haven't heard one person answer positively to this yet.

It sounds like everyone is agreeing now, but that wasn't the case during beta...wish I had your guys support then, we would have a better text tool now as a result.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Ben,

At least for me, the TEXT arrow (not the CAD arrow) always gets put on the default text layer, whatever it is. If you place text and then change the default text layer, any new arrows will then be on the new layer. With the "Text" icon highlighted, a shift-drag will select only text. With the "Text with arrow" icon highlighted, a shift-drag will select BOTH the text and arrows, and if the "text line with arrow" icon is highlighted, only text arrows will be selected. Once selected, you can change the layer as a group, whether just arrows or a combination of arrows and text.

Yes, I liked the 9.5 way better because you had to pay a little less attention, but you do get more flexibility now and it isn't THAT much harder. I can't think of a time that I would want the arrows to be on a separate layer from the text, though.
    Last edited by RMorrison; 04-24-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Thanks Richard...

I am also able to get the text arrow (not cad arrow) on the default layer, but I dislike having to reset the default each time for the arrow when it should be automatic. I use the marquee, shift select as well, and it is a matter of retraining ones self. I agree the text box is an improvement over version 9 and I don't want to loose it's great new features, but the text arrow is a step backwards.

...as I'm sure you can tell, I'm on a mission to get the arrow changed and I've been on that mission since beta, but have been unsuccessful thus far.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

Text arrows have been a touchy subject since we changed them. There are some great new features that text arrows support.

I see one complaint about text that seems to be the key problem:

When you change text layers you want all arrows orginating from that text item to change with the text change. Additionally if you draw a new text arrow from the item you want it to default to the text item you are drawing it from.

Question? How do you handle a text arrow that ends on a text item? Do you take on the attributes of the item it started from?
    Dan Park,
    Special Projects Director,
    Chief Architect

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Park
    Question? How do you handle a text arrow that ends on a text item? Do you take on the attributes of the item it started from?
    Easy. Yes.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Hi Dan,

I don't think you are getting it. Many of us want the old text arrow back. Are you guys going to bring it back by popular demand or not?

Sam

Richard.

If I take the attributes of the item it started from how do I handle the case where the arrow is pointing at a text item but originating from another object. Let's say for example It originated from a Window. Do I take on the window layer attributes or the text item layer?

We currently have no plans to bring back the old text arrow in it's entirety. Let's say when we attach a text arrow to an object we place it on the layer of the object it originates from. Does that satisfy the layer problem?

Are there other items about the old text arrow that make sense to bring back?
    Dan Park,
    Chief Architect

Dan,

I'm trying to recall an instance where a text leader pointed TO the text, and I can't. Maybe I misunderstood your phrase "originating from". I took that to mean the tail of the arrow, not the head. In other words, I always draw an arrow FROM the text to something else.

Personally, I can't see a reason to have a text arrow divorced from the layer of the text that it is attached to. A CAD arrow could fill this function, if needed.

One feature I liked in the old arrows was the "pre-broken" aspect of them, that required just dragging an already created hot spot up to create a "shoulder", and which also easily snapped to a horizontal tail.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

One feature I liked in the old arrows was the "pre-broken" aspect of them, that required just dragging an already created hot spot up to create a "shoulder", and which also easily snapped to a horizontal tail.
    This is exactly what I mean by v.9 like. Also, the horizontal portion of the leader should stay level and constant when the text is moved. We need a couple tool buttons that represent left or right leader. Currently it pops out the wrong side . One more while we are messing with code. Can we add a "nudge with arrows keys" once text is selected?

Thanks,

Sam

When you change text layers you want all arrows orginating from that text item to change with the text change. Additionally if you draw a new text arrow from the item you want it to default to the text item you are drawing it from.
    Exactly right Dan, this would satisfy the layer (and attributes) problem.

I also can't think of I time I have ever done this, but definately would want the attributes (not just layer) to match the text box it came from.

Don't forget the text attachment. They need to delete, copy and move together also. I know we can shift select, which I think most of us do to keep the arrow shape in tact, but it is easier to shift select the text again since it is larger versus the smaller text arrow if there are several items in close proximity.

Ben Palmer
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

If we go back to the way text arrows worked in the past here is what you will be giving up:

1) Only two arrows per text box

2) Only two segments per arrow

3) No curved arrows or arrow segments

4) No choice to have different line styles on arrows attached to a single text box.

5) No chamfer, or fillets.

6) No Make parallel

7) The arrow would not attach to other text objects - extend this forward to all objects.

8) No polyline editing properties.

As we move forward the text arrow is designed to handle an expanding feature set. The set of features that could be applied to the current implementation is huge. The old way of doing text arrows would not allow us to expand this functionality.

How many users wish to give up the new functionality in favor of the old?
    Dan Park,
    Chief Architect

Hi Dan,

The first three items have always been possible when occasionally needed via the line with arrow. Personally I have no use for the last 5.

HTH,

Sam

Hi Dan,

If you could make the segmented arrow change to the new default arrow when brought in from legacy plans, it would be wonderful thing, if its possible.

Currently there is no box to check for the text or arrow to accept the new defaults.

If its not possilbe or practical than leave it, I will get by this point.

Keep moving forward, you and Chief are doing a great job.

Thanks,
    George Russas

Dan,

I'd rather see a simplified V9 TEXT arrow. We always have the CAD arrow if we need to do fancy stuff.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

just put the text and arrow on the same layer.
    when you delete the text, arrow should delete as well.
    like curving the arrow line feature.
    arrow line should have a break auto break.
    Sunny