Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hey,

Sunny's thread has been hijacked!

Maybe the other thread is somehow related?

Sam

hijacked?

no, it's just the combination of the words "text" and "arrows" that causes immediate allergic reaction with some users like me

Dan, how would you react if you had a couple of hours left to the deadline and saw the below picture? Should I laugh or should I cry... or both.

Dan == I meant Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrows1.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	5804  
    Last edited by mack; 04-21-2006 at 10:36 AM.
    Matt
    For where your home is, there will your heart be also.

Matt,

I want to cry for you .

I haven't had this problem. I keep my cad details in a separate "annotation" plan file and migrate from job to job. I don't block details and add them to the library for pasting and unblocking.

Sam

I'd rather laugh -- I've seen it before so many times

the problem here is that I could keep the details separate in theory, however this occurs also on layout (let's say I want to import some text on layout). This would not solve the problem for me and yet increase the amount of files to circulate (error-prone, really).

I guess that as there's no fixed way to work in Chief, everybody's trying to adopt its tools to for the way people work. That's why somebody works in a different way and will not experience these issues. I wish I could switch so easily.
    Matt
    For where your home is, there will your heart be also.

I admit my methods may not sound orthodox. But there is rhyme behind the reason. Very little text resides in layout. It is sent to layout from the "annotation" plan .

Sam

How does ACAD do this?
    Hi Glen,

I am not sure about AutoCAD, but my other AD CAD has v.9 like text arrows with a few embellishments.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell
    yes it would be nice if the arrow(s) would automatically move to the layer the text is assigned to
    Umm, they ARE moving to the correct layer on my system. However, you need to use the "Text Line w/ Arrow", not the standard CAD arrow.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Quote Originally Posted by RMorrison
    Umm, they ARE moving to the correct layer on my system. However, you need to use the "Text Line w/ Arrow", not the standard CAD arrow.
    I guess this should have been more descriptive...they do go to the layer the text is on initially, but if you decide later to move the text to a new layer, the arrow doesn't follow...it would be nice if it did, in the interim i will just do as i have been doing, hold the shift key when I select the text and arrows, then move them...
    Tim O'Donnell

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O'Donnell
    in the interim i will just do as i have been doing, hold the shift key when I select the text and arrows, then move them...
    One tip that people may not know about is that if you've used the "text line with arrow" properly, you can select the "Text with arrow" icon --- then Shift-Drag will select ONLY text and arrows, and you can then change the layer as a single group.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Hi, I do agree that the text arrow relationship in version 9.5 was easier to work with. I love the fact that when copying text the arrow followed and retained its proper layer. I actually shelved version 10 because of this (waiste of $500 canadain) I thought the ease of use was something that set CA apart from other CAD programs. "WAY EASIER IN VERSION 9.5"
    Please add check box (preferences) in Version 11 to use Ver. 9.5 text/arrow relation.
    Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd

Mike,

Almost everybody liked the 9.5 version of text/arrows better. But dumping the whole version 10 because of just this seems pretty short-sighted. In the big picture, there are so many improvements in 10, that the few seconds you might lose with arrows are more than made up for with other productivity improvements.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Richard,

I do agree there are some nice bells and whistles in CA 10. These features are great for 3D's and having fun, but when producing working drawings and being proficient is key, I don't think shelving V10 in my opinion is at all short-sighted.

Mike C.
    Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd

Richard,

I do agree there are some nice bells and whistles in CA 10. These features are great for 3D's and having fun, but when producing working drawings and being proficient is key, I don't think shelving V10 in my opinion is at all short-sighted. I create very detailed working drawings with a great deal of text (none of this bare-bones stuff - text is very time consuming)

Mike C.
    Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd

If you're using lots of text (as I do also), then you certainly haven't paid attention to all of the text upgrades in V10. Better text block alignment, font control, controllable margins, previews, no text block size limitations in layout, spell checking, support for hyphenation, text macros, etc. etc.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    X6 Premier, Win8 64

Richard, its obvious the the text has been improved, it's the text/arrow relationship I'm not happy with (you should be the one to pay attention - TEXT/ARROW RELATIONSHIP)
    Mike Corriveau
    Corriveau Cadd