Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

new text in CA 10

Am I the only one who hates the way how new text/arrow works in CA 10? CA 9.5 was very good. Much superior to even autocad. The new version is absolutely ridiculous. I hope ART will taking this back to CA9.5. I am considering switching all of our computers to CA10 but now I am not sure if it is worth it.

Sunny

I like it better. Put the text where you want it, then put in the arrows. Drawing the arrow is quicker than moving one.

I actually prefer the newer arrangement, but maybe they could do the whole Windows XP arrangement (I definitely prefer the old GUI in Windows).

You know - have a "Chief Classic" option on some of the functions.

John S.

Arrows

We Should Have A Option To Have Arrow Stick To Text And Be On The Same Layer. So I Say Change Text To Be On Framing Text Layer Arrow Attribute Changes With Change. Many Times I Change Layer For Text Forget To Also Change Arrow Layer Resulting In Orphan Arrows. This Is Major And Should Be Changed Please
    michael gilson
    http://www.remodelphoenix.com
    ACCUREST@COX.NET

CCC is offline Building Florida Since 74
    I'm bad for orphan arrows, too. I find it frustrating that the arrow doesn't find the layer of the assigned text, and take on its properties.
    [SIZE=2][COLOR=darkorange]~Cheryl[/COLOR][/SIZE]

i much prefer the arrows in v10..and never liked the earlier versions of the text with arrow (in fact the text with arrow icon was added back in to help appease beta testers who wanted it to revert back to the older, and imo inferior method)..and never used it as such...i find it much faster and easier to simply place the text then activet the arrow tool and draw arrows the same as you would cad lines...for corners draw the arrow up on leg, the snap the next segment onto the end and drag it to what you want to point to...multiple arrows from a single text...curved arrows etc

yes it would be nice if the arrow(s) would automatically move to the layer the text is assigned to
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 04-21-2006 at 05:18 AM.
    Tim O'Donnell

The arrow should change layers and properties automatically to match the text it is linked to and stay attached to the text it is linked to...if I delete or move the text, the arrow should follow suite. If we never moved or deleted text, then it would be OK, but who doesn't do that? This is a major pain and a major down fall in this tool which is a crucial component to construction documents. This is one of the main reasons I have not upgraded.. Other then the mentioned 2 deficiencies, [SIZE=2]the text tool is more versatile and has much more control in 10.[/SIZE]

The text with arrow icon isn't as effective in 10 as it was in 9. In 9, it produced less clicks and was superior to standard text tool. But now with it's cad like attributes, it can be less effectife then just drawing the arrow.
    Last edited by Ben Palmer; 04-21-2006 at 07:39 AM.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

I definitely agree with that the arrow should attach itself to the text and be on the same layer. I find than when you move the text the point of the arrow remains stationary and the beginning of the arrow moves with the text. This almost always makes the line messy with odd angles so I end up deleting the arrow and redrawing. I am not sure this is avoidable, other than having the whole arrow move with the text. How does ACAD do this?

I preferred the version 9 arrows also

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I miss the old text arrow too! Wasn't the line with arrow method available in previous versions?

Sam

Good point Sam...that is basically all we are doing is drawing a line with arrow since it doesn't attach or assume properties in any way. So we could say that it is like version 9 text, but using a cad arrow for a text arrow. Which means you have to change layers and deal with it being unattached the same way we do currently in 10. So really there is not an improvement other then the text box now having cad capabilites, which helps the snapping of the cad arrow or what is now called the text leader.

All ART has done is taken the CAD arrow tool and renamed it Text Leader.
    Last edited by Ben Palmer; 04-25-2006 at 12:47 PM.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook

No Comments

this is how my CA 10 handles arrows (see the "development question" post)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arrows.png 
Views:	360 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	5802  
    Matt
    For where your home is, there will your heart be also.

Hi Mack,
    I have the same thing going on at times. It happens with text brought in from earlier plans. I have a ton of details that are on storage plans, as I call them from other versions.

I was told to block the details and add them to the library, but it doesn't change the settings for ver. 10 and once you unblock the detail to adjust as you have to do with each project, I have to change the settings to reflect ver 10. (uncheck ver. 8 compatable?, font size because you can't change it to the defaults, etc.)

I have lost a ton of time and its not over yet. I have always been taking these details from these plans and just dropping them in on plans from before ver. 10 and moving on, not now.

George :mad:
    Last edited by George Russas; 04-21-2006 at 09:17 AM.

...COUNTLESS HOURS WASTED.

it happens both with files moved from v9 to v10 and those moved between v10 plans. The only sin to commit is to paste new text with arrows.

I tried the blocking, but finally I have to unblock anyway. It *****.
    Matt

as I wrote in the other post, Chief has apparent problem with pre-existing objects with the same "ID" as the newly pasted in.

The result is a frenzy of jumping from one page to another to find the newly messed up arrows since you last placed something. And then the files are sent and I get the telephone call from my client "what the **** with your arrows again? I just opened the layout and it's a mess". Should I then call CA and pour out my discontent or what -- every time?
    Matt