Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    This is interesting.

Dan are you using layer sets to put your plan together? You can email privately if you like.
    Last edited by louis; 04-19-2006 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kernsdan
    yes, but not a beginners. make it more on the advanced side. I think most new users dont use layers that much because they are concentrating on learning the program.
    Dan,

Do you mean that he (Louis) should maybe have one on just layers and how to use them first, and then one on layer sets? They are associated with each other in the sense that layer sets are a manipulation of layers to be seen in different views whether it be plan or camera or render. Layer sets are very important for doing layouts.

Just curious what you meant.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

Louis:
    I have another idea, I'm going to email you privately....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

I'm sorry, It's been a 14 hour day and just getting to look at the forum. I do not mean to teach them seperately. They definitely go together without a doubt. I am saying that I think it should be a more advanced class because I really feel that there is so much to learn with chief, that the new people dont concentrate on layers and sets because they are overwhelmed just learning the program. They are focussing on the main program just to get it learned. Then, I think, they get into the layer sets more after they get more comfortable with the program.There is so many ways to work around the layer sets when you first begin. It definately takes longer, but I think that is what happens. It's kind of like learning how to do terrain before you learn the rest of the program. Does that make sense? Louis I just finished a set this evening. I did better than I ever have, but I still need to figure a few more things out. If you would like to see them let me know. Thanks
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Thumbs up layers

Yes please - I need to understand them but I live in Australia can this work if I take the class?????
    Ta- Debs
    Debbie Cain
    Debbie's Inspiring Designs

I am very interested in how to deal with layer sets. I have watched the videos and tried to practice what I saw but for some reason I cannot get the hang of using them to do what I want to do and not what the program wants me to do.

I want to create a layer set, say Window & Door Schedule, and then at the bottom call it WINDOW & DOOR SCHEDULE like I would do the floor plan. Then do the schedule in that layer set and it not affect the default layer set.

This may be the wrong place to even discuss this subject. The only way that I have found to do what I want to do is save as another name and do what I want to with it. The only problem is that if something changes then I have to do it on all plans.

I have dial up and so I would have to do something like Christina suggested. That would be a good reason to get a lap top.

Just rambling on.

LaMar

LaMar,

Why not create the schedules in a cad detail? I feel that is the best place for them anyway. If you do that, then when you create your layout, you can send the schedules to whatever page you want in the layout.
    Tommy Blair
    Houston, TX.
    (713) 467-0579
    tblair55@sbcglobal.net
    Avid Chief User V8-X5
    Lead Houston User's Group
    HP Dv7t Quad Edition Laptop
    W7 Home Premium, 64-Bit
    2nd Gen. Intel Quad Core i7-2720QM 2.2 GHz (turbo boost to 3.3 GHz)
    1GB Radeon HD 6770M GDDR5
    8GB DDR3 System Memory, 640GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
    (2) 2.0 ports, (2) 3.0 ports
    17.3" Monitor (1600x900)

LaMar,

I know you are struggling with layer sets from your posts.
    You need to try and get your head around the CONCEPT of layer sets, not just the physical manipulation of your specific problem. You need to think that layer sets overide all the layers and control what layers come together and how those individual layers are displayed in that layer set.

Try this. Think of all the layers as items in a supermarket. Think of the layer sets as individual shopping baskets. Now go around the supermarket and select different items (layers) and put them into different baskets (layer sets). You could have 1 basket called Default, another basket called Window & Door Schedule. When you look at each basket they each have different items in them. When you look at 1 basket, you can't see what is in all the other baskets. Modify All Layer Sets simply puts a particular item (layer) into every basket.
    This is a little simplistic because in Chief, what you are actually doing is putting the same item into all baskets, it just looks different in each basket - I think this is where most of the confusion comes from when dealing with layer sets. And I guess I have just confused things even more!!

I am happy to help you figure this out.
    What you want to do can be done EASILY with layer sets.
    I don't advocate sending the door and window to a cad detail as it ceases to become dynamic.

I assume that you want to have a floor plan which shows the window and door codes, the window and door schedules, and anything else that you want.

Open the Layer Display Options dbx.
    Make sure Modify All Layer Sets is unchecked.
    Make sure your current layer set is Default Set (although it could be a different one if you want).
    Use the Copy Set button and name the new Layer Set "Window & Door Schedule Set".
    While in the new "Window & Door Layer Set", manipulate any layers you want displayed or not displayed and their properties, like color, style, size, etc. You will want the "Windows, Labels", "Schedule, Window" "Doors, Labels" and "Schedule, Door" layers displayed for a start.
    You may want to turn off the display of other floor plan items like dimension and fittings, rrof planes, etc, that you don't want to display in this layer set.
    Now for your title text that says "Window & Door Schedule". The easiest way is to place that text on either the door or window labels layer or the door or window schedule layer. That way it will only show when the labels or schedules show. You could create a new layer called "Window & Door Schedule Text", place the text on that layer, and then control it's display in the various layer sets, but easier to place it on a layer that you have already configured as part of your "window & Door Schedule" layer set.

That's really all there is to setting up your new layer set to to control the display of your window and door codes and their schedules. When you want to send this information to Layout make sure you switch to your "Window & Door Schedule Set" first, then send to Layout.

You will probably now want to do a bit of cleaning up in your default set (and any other sets you don't want the door and window labels and schedules to show) so that the door and window codes and schedules don't show in the default and other layer sets (I assume you wouldn't want them to show in the default set as you have just created a layer set specifically for these items).

Go to the Layer Display Options dbx, select "Default Set" and make sure Modify All Layer Sets is unchecked. You will probably want to turn off the relevant door and window label and schedule layers that you turned on in the "Window & Door Schedule" layer set.

Now, switch between the Default Set and the Window & Door Schedule layer sets and see the difference.

Ask if you are still having problems.

Good luck.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Lamar, Do a search of " Framing and Render Views together". I thought this was an excellent lesson on this subject. It is rather long. but well worth the time.
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Woodward
    I don't advocate sending the door and window to a cad detail as it ceases to become dynamic.
    Not for sure if this is what you meant by dynamic, but windows and doors are updated in Schedules created in a Cad Detail. I follow the same procedure as Tommy.
    Last edited by ambrozac; 05-28-2006 at 05:04 PM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

You are right Cliff, they do update in a cad detail.
    I was assuming that they were also being converted to text with the Schedule to Text tool.
    Glenn

Chief X5
    www.glennwoodward.com.au

Windows 7 - Home Premium
    Intel i7-920
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R
    6 Gb DDR3 1600MHz
    EVGA GTX285 1GbDDR3
    1TB Sata HD

Yes........but lets not makes it to novice. Some may be learning the program but have been drawing for some time on other programs and do understand the importance of layer managment and the general concept of what we whant to achieve ..... just not sure how to get the end result.

Amber
    Some what new to Cheif

Glenn, I really appreciate all the effort that you put in on how to use the layer sets, etc. I have gotten a part of it to working for me. I have spent the better part of today trying to get this subject together.

The real problem that I am having:

I copy the default layer set, give it a name, like Windows & Doors Schedule. Then I do my schedule on that layer set. The label for the door/window schedule shows up on the Windows & Doors Schedule just like it is suppose to do. However, that same label is showing up on my Floor Plan and I cannot figure out how to get rid of it on my Floor Plan.

I can do the Electrial Layout and everything works just fine. No problem here.

So now if someone can explain how to get rid of the layout label that is on the floor plan, maybe I will be on the way to getting this layer thing fixed in my old mind.

LaMar

Glenn, I really appreciate all the effort that you put in on how to use the layer sets, etc. I have gotten a part of it to working for me. I have spent the better part of today trying to get this subject together.

The real problem that I am having:

I copy the default layer set, give it a name, like Windows & Doors Schedule. Then I do my schedule on that layer set. The label for the door/window schedule shows up on the Windows & Doors Schedule just like it is suppose to do. However, that same label is showing up on my Floor Plan and I cannot figure out how to get rid of it on my Floor Plan.

I can do the Electrial Layout and everything works just fine. No problem here.

So now if someone can explain how to get rid of the layout label that is on the floor plan, maybe I will be on the way to getting this layer thing fixed in my old mind.

LaMar

LaMar,

You can uncheck the layer "Windows, labels" at the bottom of Display Options to turn off the labels, or in the Window Schedule, under Label, you can uncheck the Shape and you won't get the hexagon (or other) shape. You can also make some changes that will affect the plan view by configuring the Label tab in your Windows dbx. May have to play around with it to get the results you want, or at least close. Would be the same for doors.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory