Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Layers and Layersets

Is there a big need for more understanding on layers and layersets?

Do you want a class? Please let me know.

It appears to me that quite a few people are confused about how all this works. Is this the case?
    Last edited by louis; 04-19-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Not just how to create or edit them, but how this relates to the overall strategy of creating a plan set.

Answer is yes.

Glen,

I know your answer is yes. I'm trying to find out if there are others.

I just did a long private session on exactly that. If there are enough interested I will put a class together.
    Last edited by louis; 04-19-2006 at 01:00 PM.

I think this is a really valuable area of Chief for users to master with big payback in efficiency and productivity. I hope many people will take advantage of lessons in this area.

From various comments I've read in posts, I think there are a lot of users who could increase their productivity significantly by harnessing the power of customized layersets. But unfortunately, I bet a lot of users don't realize it, because they know how to turn layers on and off, create another layer, and create a layerset, so they think they've got it.

My two cents for anyone thinking about this:

I have about 50 additional custom layers in my typical file, with over 40 custom layersets. When Chief changed how layersets worked in the last version or so, and made them worth using, I spent about 5 to 10 hours analyzing my files, the typical items used, views used to design in, views used to send to layout, work patterns, etc, to figure out how best to use layersets for my plan types. I estimate, conservatively, that using those custom layers and layersets increases my productivity at least 20%. Now note that I was previously a CAD manager for a firm and I created and maintained a whole layer/layerset type system previously (though on large scale commercial projects, not residential) so I had an idea of the kind of efficiency I was aiming for.

So, don't just think about whether you know how to create a custom layer or layerset - think about if they are a significant factor in the way you work. If you think it wouldn't be that big a deal if Chief didn't have customizable layersets, then you could probably benefit a lot from Louis' class!

Christina

I bet a lot of users don't realize it, because they know how to turn layers on and off, create another layer, and create a layerset, so they think they've got it.
    You hit the nail on the head.

the typical items used, views used to design in, views used to send to layout, work patterns, etc,
    Most have never thought of layer sets this way.

Thanks Christina.
    Last edited by louis; 04-19-2006 at 01:23 PM.

yesssssssssssssssssssss

I'm interested. I use the layer function as Christina describes but am interested in learning any new or better ways of doing things.

Thanks Louis,

Louis:
    Is there any way to do this with those of us who don't have a high speed connection?
    I'm on dial up and would take some of your courses if we could work it out somehow....
    And I'd be interested in layer sets, automatic roofs, and symbol creation...
    just to name a few.
    I haven't responded in the past as you require high speed....
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Jim,

That's a tough one. We all meet online and I think the delay for you would be unbearable. With high speed the class can move along just as if you were sitting right beside me.

I'm not sure what the answer is. I could come to MA and give you private classes.

Jim - maybe you could take a laptop to a friend's house who has high speed?

Christina

I would be vedry interested in layersets and any other classes that you offer. Please email me info on online classes.

thanks
    RL Inc. -Residential construction and design
    Rob Littleton
    ver 9.5-X5
    Windows 7 home premium
    Intel- Core i7-2600 CPU-3.40 GHz
    64 bit-os
    Nvidia GeForce GTX570

Sounds like a good class. Let me know when!
    Michael

Louis-

Yes for me on layersets. Just say when.
    Steve Miller
    Builder's Plan Service
    X1 Full

I'm in, I move things from layer to layer all the time for my layouts and I'm comvinced I am burning more energy than I need to. I would have to take off work from my full time job for a day class so I would be up for evening or weekend.

Chris Smithson

yes, but not a beginners. make it more on the advanced side. I think most new users dont use layers that much because they are concentrating on learning the program.
    Dan Kerns
    Using X5.