Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

U-Shaped Kitchen Layout

Can anyone please tell me how to get rid of the extra line on this U-shaped kitchen layout? The one just above the bottom right hand corner....between the 'skinny' cabinet (bottom RHS) and the 'empty' space just above it that Chief fills in automatically.

I have been covering it up with white CAD lines/boxes for years and I wonder whether there is an alternative to getting rid of this stray line. Like placing another cabinet in the empty space or something.

Oh, and I know about custom countertops.....seemed like an overkill to get rid of one lousy line if you know what I mean.

Appreciate any help on this little nuisance line of mine.

Regards

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line on U-shaped Kitchen Benches.gif 
Views:	484 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	4609  

Turn off cabinet module lines? Just a WAG.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

Jason

I just turned them on so everyone could see the location of the cabinets easier. The brown line I am talking about is not a module line. It stays there when the module lines are turned off.
    WAG? Wild #$%&@# guess?

Paul

Yeah, you guessed WAG right.

If that didn't do it, though, you're stuck with either custom counters or electronic white-out.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

It appears that the cabinet in the corner, two cabinets to the right of the range is too wide, creating the extra line. Select the cabinet and pull the right side of the cabinet to the left so its left side aligns with the front of the sink cabinets. As it is now the front of the cabinet is behind the cabinet that is left of the sink.

For the penensula cabinets... do you want the little "+"s where they are? if not, I have a solution that might work well for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lavor
    It appears that the cabinet in the corner, two cabinets to the right of the range is too wide, creating the extra line. Select the cabinet and pull the right side of the cabinet to the left so its left side aligns with the front of the sink cabinets. As it is now the front of the cabinet is behind the cabinet that is left of the sink.
    You're right Lavor, that's what happens when you throw cabinets together quickly just to get the drawing finished quickly and out the door. One of the first times I've been so careless with cabinet placement, may not be the last.
    Anyway, I was referring to the other darker line right of the sink. And the little plusses only seem to appear when the cabinet module lines is turned on.....which I never normally use. But others may be intersted to know how to get rid of them. I just assumed they were part of the module effect.

TIA Paul

Paul,

Do you want the plus and arrow symbols to show? Or, should I ask, how do you want the cabinets to appear in the plan view?

LaVor

C'mon LaVor...spill it...I don't do a lot of kitchen work, but you've piqued our curiosity!

John S.

John,

Will spill it when I get some free time this afternoon/evening.

Thanks. This forum is a great learning center, but I know what you mean about free time!

John S.

Here's the line I'm talking about in an updated image. Surely there are some kitchen design experts out there that can help me out........or maybe it is not possible to do this in Chief?

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line on U-shaped Kitchen Benches.gif 
Views:	277 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	4671  

I'm not sure I understand why you're referring to it as an "extra" line - it's the back of the cabinet. When cabinets are adjacent the lines between them are replaced by corner marks showing the demarcation between the different cabinets. When a cabinet isn't positioned against another cabinet, its outline remains whole. You can make the line disappear by placing a "dummy" cabinet against the cabinet in question and setting the "dummy" cabinet not to display (or change its line to white, etc.), but then your material list will be off. I think just using a CAD line or box is probably the correct way to accomplish what you want, unless you don't use Material lists, in which case maybe the "dummy" cabinet option will be more appealing to you.

Regards,

Jay
    Jay Palmer, President
    CARDIFF CONSULTANTS, LIMITED
    Developer of the [COLOR="Blue"]ChiefSymbols®[/COLOR] Libraries and PowerTools™ for Chief Architect® and Home Designer™

1470 First Avenue • No. 4A • New York, NY 10021 USA
    Telephone: 212.717.5425
    Fax: 718.208.4075
    Email: jpalmer@ChiefSymbols.com

Thanks Jay for replying. You have given me a third option in placing a 'dummy white' cabinet in the empty space. I don't use material lists so that may be another good option for me.
    It seems to be such a typical kitchen layout.......I thought there may have been something I was missing or doing wrong.
    Maybe ART could think about getting rid of such lines when a cabinet is backed onto an empty space that is surrounded by other cabinets and/or the bench is automatically filled in by Chief?

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Hilbig; 02-28-2006 at 01:09 AM.

If you do use the Materials List, you should be able to open the dummy cabinet's components dbx and uncheck all the items. That way it won't show in the Materials List.
    Last edited by ambrozac; 02-28-2006 at 06:01 AM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory