Stringer question

I wonder if somebody can help me to solve this one. Stairs in Chief are built very different to the way they are built in Australia. Chief cuts the steps into the stringers and it has one in the center to be strong enough . In OZ the stringers are straight, the steps thicker (2 inches), notched into the sides of the stringer and generally open. My problem is the central stringer, a no no where I work. Is there a way to delete or restrict the central stringer? The stair is 800 mm or about 32 inches wide. I appreciate your effort.
    Alok
    EXPANDesign

Alok

Make a stair, then double click on it to open its dbx. Under the "Style" tab, select "Closed Sides", "open underneath", and "Open risers".

Then uncheck "Single stringer" and Large Stringer base".

This will give you a typical hardwood open riser external stair with the treads slung between the stringers.

It you uncheck "closed sides" you get the cut stringer style.

All the best
    Ross

Hi Ross, thank you for your reply. Unfortunately it does not quite work the way you described. When I check closed sides, the stair is closed from underneath, ignoring the open riser tab. When I look at it from the front it is open but when looking from the back it's closed. Can you check if that is the same on your computer. Is it my program or is it a bug?
    Thanks
    Alok, EXPANDesign
    EXPANDesign

Hi Alok

I also get lining to the underside of the stair which is only visible when viewing from inside, so its not a problem with your program. It looks fine from the outside (ie, no lining).

The lining is not there for the depth of the floor that the stair is meeting.

All I can suggest is to contact Technical support to confirm if the lining is supposed to be absent when viewed in this way (I can't see why it should be there).

Ross

Thanks Ross, I will do that.
    Have a great day.
    Alok, EXPANDesign
    EXPANDesign

Alok,

The "Tread Thickness" can be set by you on the "Style Tab" as well.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!