Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok now this is really frustating

I have done alot of changes to the plan. This goes with a thread that I had put out last week. CA was shutting itself down without even a warning. Now, (after a clent found this) I have discovered on Thursday of last week when my CA was doing this, that I might as well not done anything because EVERYTHING went back to before CA shut itself down. Is your CA this unreliable? And why is it only my v10 and not the v9.5?

PLEASE please help!
    Angela
    vX2 (latest and greatest)

Hi Angela,
    Does it shut down with other plans or is it just the one plan?
    If it is just this plan, the plan file might be corrupted. You mentioned you have made many changes to the plan, depending on what you did & how you did it could have affected the plan.
    I think you will find most people will get a crash once in a while.

But overall I found it is very stable
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

I can all most gurantee a crash every time I do a render overview and then use my wheel on my mouse to zoom in. It shuts down instantly with no worning, happens more oftan than not,gets eritating but what do you do?
    David P.
    From Broderbund to x5

Without warning, it seems to happen a lot more with this one client than any other. They use one plan with several variations and then give it another name. This plan is totally unrelated to other plans I have had this happen to. This all started when I tried to paste one portion of the same plan into this file. Back-ups do not even show that I was in the plan since early January. What's worse is the misunderstanding with the guy.
    Angela

He doesn't realize that this happens sometimes.
    Angela

Boy, that would have me orbiting the room just above the doors!

This is a bit of an easter egg hunt, but can you pinpoint when this started? Right after an upgrade perhaps? If so, maybe uninstalling CA, unplugging the network, turning off virus checkers, and every other resident program you can, then reinstalling, will help. (Of course you turn the self-defense programs back on before connecting to the WEB though.) Don't know, but it might be worth a try if nothing else works.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

If your file is completely corrupted for whatever reason...you could do a *view to CAD* of each plan (Or export them as dwg files)....then start a new file by importing the CAD floor plans....and going *CAD to walls*.

It should get you up and running ....perhaps faster than trying to figure out where the mishap occured.

Been talking to Tech Supp and Geek Squad and Star Training here in town and I think they are all in conclusion that it is my vid card either driver out of date or the card is bad. Will keep you posted. I do know that I have been having prob's on and off since I bought this new computer and it came to a head last Thursday when I was coping in objects from another file. Got worse from there.
    Angela

What card? Old drivers will definitely cause problems some of the time. I'll do a quick scan for drivers if you list the card, but I warn you - most require you to FULLY UNINSTALL the current drivers, leaving you with a generic windoze driver upon reboot, and THEN you load the new version. As a guess, that's probably where I'd start.

As an aside, I have cleaned up quite a few computers for friends. Dell does a fantastic job of loading junk on your computer, and almost everyone seems to ship the box without updating drivers, bios, even Windows updates. I just build my own, so at least I only have one person to blame.

John S.

I had a similar problem of crashes in ver 10.0 that was cleared up by updating the driver for my vid card. I've had no problems since.
    Leslie Sapp
    State Certified General Contractor
    State Certified Roofing Contractor
    Trenton, Fl.
    Ver. X5 Build15.2.0.87x64
    http://www.lesliesapp.com
    homes@lesliesapp.com

I had a local Geek to the rescue guy come over here and he took a look at the card. I have a ATI Radeon 256M X700 Pro video card. He updated the drivers for it and it solved a couple of problems I have been having with it. I was wondering if anyone here is using Window XP Media Center on their computer? Are you having any problems with this? He said that maybe CA is used to regular XP and not the differences in Media Center (mainly with the audio and VIDEO).
    Angela

Yes, I am using XP media center and do not have any rendering problems.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

I have found that on my computer with an ATI card I have the best performance with the Optimizations turned off.

This is located at Edit>Preferences>Render -- under Options uncheck Optimizations on. Try that and it should help your stability if you have an ATI card.
    Ed Schafer
    SW Test Manager
    Chief Architect

I am using an HP pavilion zd8000 laptop (3.2 Mhz ,2 meg memory, ATI mobility radeon x600 256, XP media Service pak 2 ). I am experiencing CA just disappears when I click on the window after several minutes of idle time. This is also happening with Outlook, Acrobat Pro and several other programs. I am know investigating the possiblity of a bad memory module or processor. Called HP support and can see their heads turn to the side like a confussed dog. Still no resolution of this problem. Going to try Ed's suggestion.
    Last edited by Marty001; 02-14-2006 at 04:40 PM.

My recommended solution will only affect Chief and issues when taking render views. It will not have any affect on other programs. For your case it sounds like you have a system or vid card issue.
    Ed Schafer
    SW Test Manager
    Chief Architect