Finding Materials

Is there a way to search within a plan for a particular material that is already used? I'm tired of getting a message at every render that it cant' find a texture that apparently I assigned a long time ago in version 9. Of course it can't find it, because that path is no longer valid. I have the texture, I just need to change the path, but I don't know where the texture (material) is within the plan. It's not listed in the Plan Materials list.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Adam,

I don't think so. That would be a great "suggestion" for Version 11; I have often wished the same thing when in a similar condition.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

Yes - I think you can select any object, open it, go to the materials tab and then select "Plan Material" and get a list of all the materials and see which ones are in use.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curtis -

I don't think that's what he means. I've opened version 9 files in version 10, and they are missing some of the materials (lost the association). Can you open the plan materials in version 9, and see where it goes when you try to edit the texture? If it's like version 10, it should "Browse" to the default directory.

I haven't tried this, and I'm not near a computer with version 9, but it should work!

John S.

Nope, it doesn't work. Quite odd.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Chief Materials are a real pain for me right now as I’m setting up a new computer system and trying to install all of my “added files”. There seems to be no simple method of moving all my added files to the library as “my textures” go here “my backdrops” go there etc. and there is no “my material” library directory in Chief. Chief uses a new method of material definitions now and I tried to convert the old material.dat files as per the help menu

(Material.dat files, which were used in prior versions of Chief Architect, can be converted to materials and saved directly to the Library Browser by selecting 3D> Materials> Convert Material Definition (.dat) Files from the menu.)

This just made a messy library and the textures were still missing.

I tried to “create a plan library” but the textures are missing from the plan to start with.

If anyone has any suggestions how I can find and copy all my old “stuff” the new computer I would appreciate some help.

I wish that Chief’s Library Browser could be directed to a single folder for added files such as if I wanted to change the backdrop I wouldn’t have to put the file in “my backdrops” but could just “explore” my way to “My Added Chief Files\Backdrops”

This way only one folder has to be backed up and copied to insure all files migrate with each system or version upgrade.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

If you use Windows Explorer, go to the Chief 10.0 folder and click "Libraries" you will see all of the "My Foldernames." Just drag Libraries over to replace the one that is in the new installation. Then, restart Chief so it will find and recognize the .alb files. These are all of the My *.alb files. The backdrops are pictures and are found separately.

I just did this myself for a new computer. I think I have them now.

A bigger hassle was the filepath association with Layout files. I had to set up the same username on the new computer, otherwise Chief could not find the associated plan and image files.
    Last edited by gpickren; 02-14-2006 at 09:17 AM.

I understand that and have done that more than once. My problem is I have Chief on three computers and when I work on one and create a new material or library object, or use a new image or texture I have to find and update the folders on all machines. If everything was in one folder it would be easier to sync the files.

I have gone to the office to print a set of plans more than once only to find the Plan or Layout missing something that I created a few days before and forgot to bring along.
    David Eastman
    Eastman Builders
    10803 Gulfdale
    San Antonio TX 78216
    Ph. 210-842-4037
    Fax 210-485-1364
    David@Eastmanbuilders.com

I gather you are using something like a desktop in each place plus a laptop. Until someone writes a sync program, it sounds like you need to get in the habit of exporting the whole plan file at the end of your work session. That won't put it in the other computer's library, but at least you will have it.

Since you are using computers in multiple locations, even storing the libraries on a file server will not completely solve your problem. I was planning on doing this using my desktop as the server for when I used my laptop, but then I still have to remember to export the whole file when I go on a sales call.

Yeah, I think we're punked till another version comes along. At least you've already placed it in Suggestions. I really do believe that materials management (in the model sense) is critical to the way many of us use CA. I'm making new textures for myself now, and portability through windows explorer would be great.

I'd also love for the symbols to be more like .obj files with all the texture definitions bundled, and hopefully they'll go that way in the near future.

John S.

there is software available to scan changed files/folders and to synchronize them...ie briefcase, which is built right into xp is just for that...to synchronize laptops to desktops

My Briefcase

Tim, I see how Briefcase can work well to sync the plan files on both systems. Thanks.

What about the user's CAD blocks, custom symbols, architectural blocks? Do you put some of the Chief folders in the briefcase as well?

Glen

Glen:

the briefcase has a file size limit. It used to be 5MB may be larger but you should check this.

You could also check out www.xdrive.com if you need more space

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

That limit is gone apparently. I just put 497 mb in My Briefcase.