Hybrid View

Tim:

firewalls are less of an issue when doing dial-ups.

Broadband is "always on" and your IP address remains static and can be seen by the "world".

When I had a HD failure last year I connected to web before I re-installed Norton and within minutes I was buried in viruses and pop-ups. Now I install Norton first before I attemp to connect to web.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Looks like Brian is the third person that can attach from the forum. Wish I knew their secret.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    Tim:

firewalls are less of an issue when doing dial-ups.

Broadband is "always on" and your IP address remains static and can be seen by the "world".

When I had a HD failure last year I connected to web before I re-installed Norton and within minutes I was buried in viruses and pop-ups. Now I install Norton first before I attemp to connect to web.

Lew
    i am well aware of that...you can also turn off/disconnect your cable modem when you are not using it, so it is not always on and open for port scans......that is a very sure way way

i also have not used AV software for more than two years...and will never again use norton...it messed up every system i have ever had it on...i think i would rather deal with a virus than that...i let my ip provider deal with viruses...so far they have done a good job of it...and then if one stays away from risky sites, doesn't open unsolicited emails, doesn't use ie/oe..the risk truly is minimal

linux box+ mozilla+ turn off the connect.... works for me