Hybrid View

I have the book and it is informative and nicely layed out.

If you are interested then look over the table of contents on the ordering site and if you are not familiar with how to do those items then this book is for you.

I checked the section on stairs and it covers a number of styles/topics concerning stairs so it is not just a surface level book.

The teaching method is to start a house from scratch and apply each technique to that house so that by the end you have a complete house that you can then apply the presentation tools on and create a set of working drawings for that house. Very consistent, this is much better than using each tool/topic in isolation.

Each lesson is click-by-click, step-by-step and that is nice also.

If you are still new to how Chief works with most of these topics then this book is worth the cost of $59 + $10 S/H. Considering that the classroom training costs $695 to cover this same material and you can do it at your own pace.

There is an included CD that has all the plans for each section so you can check and see how yours is suppose to be as you build it, section by section. It also has the final set of working drawings.

I can highly recommend this book and can only hope that there is an advanced version coming that will delve even deeper into roofs and stairs and terrain and foundations and framing, etc.

I am taking the 3 day Intermediate class in March and I hope to work my way thru this book before then as much as possible, so I can absorb the nuiances the teacher imparts.

Nice job Star Training !!!

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Quote Originally Posted by lbuttery
    I have the book and it is informative and nicely layed out.

If you are interested then look over the table of contents on the ordering site and if you are not familiar with how to do those items then this book is for you.

I checked the section on stairs and it covers a number of styles/topics concerning stairs so it is not just a surface level book.

The teaching method is to start a house from scratch and apply each technique to that house so that by the end you have a complete house that you can then apply the presentation tools on and create a set of working drawings for that house. Very consistent, this is much better than using each tool/topic in isolation.

Each lesson is click-by-click, step-by-step and that is nice also.

If you are still new to how Chief works with most of these topics then this book is worth the cost of $59 + $10 S/H. Considering that the classroom training costs $695 to cover this same material and you can do it at your own pace.

There is an included CD that has all the plans for each section so you can check and see how yours is suppose to be as you build it, section by section. It also has the final set of working drawings.

I can highly recommend this book and can only hope that there is an advanced version coming that will delve even deeper into roofs and stairs and terrain and foundations and framing, etc.

I am taking the 3 day Intermediate class in March and I hope to work my way thru this book before then as much as possible, so I can absorb the nuiances the teacher imparts.

Nice job Star Training !!!

Lew
    Thanks! That means a lot I've been sweating the first review. There is a chance there will be an advanced book. I've got a list of potential topics taped up on the wall behind me. If you have any specific issues you'd like to see addressed shoot me an email or PM and I can make sure to stick them on the list.

Also feel free to contact us if you have any questions on the book as well.

Thanks again for compliments!

Mike
    webmaster@startraining.com

So, what's on that advanced list?
    Let us know so we won't ask for it.......
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5

Actually, duplicate requests would indicate more of an interest in a particular topic and i'm tracking that as well. There have been suggestions of terrain, ceilings, molding, polyline solids, symbols, roofs, stairs, foundations, and framing. They've just been fairly general requests. Case in point, was earlier someone suggested advanced roofs. What specifically, would you like to know more of on roofs? In this book I went through the creation of 10ish different roof types. Are there specific conditions, or situations you have in mind? Different Styles? details? Things like that.

Mike

I would suggest going back over the postings in this forum and the Yahoo Chief forum and review all the postings back to Jan 2003 when ver 9 came out and then for the major topics like roofs, stairs, terrain, cabinets,
    foundations/framing/trusses etc. create examples that show click by click how to set the dbx's etc. to do some of the advanced features of these tools.

With lots of pics on a DVD so we can see how it all works, etc.
    Break each topic down into small repeatable workshop style lesson plans. See the Nasman book for a methodology of presenting the material,
    with the 10 lessons plans in his book.

I'd like to see a lesson plan for each topic discussed on the forums.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Well, it's been a while.....
    And I finished the tutorial house project from the book.
    I even went to the extent of printing my drawings.
    I liked the book, and the methods used to create the project.
    Some of these methods were different then what I had learned at my three day classroom learning session.
    And that was one thing I was looking for.
    That is, different ways to do similar things.
    I was happy with the book, and I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Jim Rogers
    Jim Rogers Timber Designs
    Georgetown, MA, USA
    email: jrsawmill@verizon.net
    V9.54-V10.08a-VX1.5.4.17-VX2-VX3-VX4-VX5