Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by louis
    The adobe reader has a collate option and a reverse page option. I have an Epson wide format (prints with the pages up). I tell it to collate and reverse pages and select the number of sets I need and when they are all done they are face up collated and in the right order.

Another good cost effective way to get it done!

Except you do not get to build boxes out of cardboard!

Maybe I just miss being in the field, NOT!!
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

don't even worry about the setting in Chief...ie leave the fit to paper setting as is..
    Hi Tim,

I would like to accept that on blind faith. While you might not intentionally do what I did to test this theory it does leave some doubt for me. These are screen captures of the pdf files. Under normal circumstances it may or may not mean a hard to detect resizing, but I think I’ll check “print to scale” just the same. Also, I don't understand the logic of building in the potential for plotting inaccuracies.

8 1/2x11 Layout

8 1/2x11 Layout “Fit to Page” on 24x36

OMO,

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 01-05-2006 at 11:51 AM.

"Fit to Paper" and "To Scale" are equivalent if the printer paper you have chosen in page setup is the paper you are actually printing to. In other cases it is assumed that your desire is to print a check plot and fit the paper. The only time you really need to select to scale is if you want it span sheets of paper.

Print in color is a preference that is remembered automatically. You can access it from the print dialog, or if you are in print preview mode hitting the "Color On/Off Toggle" will change it. Print preview will show the current print in color setting.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

The only time you really need to select to scale is if you want it span sheets of paper.
    Hi Doug,

True, if you are printing banners "please smile". I beg to differ but this might explain the reversal on the part of ART. I should add that the potential problem also occurs when the margin setup on the print file is different than that of the printer. We depend on the blue printer to also select “print to scale” on their end. If “print to scale” is not adhered to at every step, there is a potential for the final print to not scale accurately. The result of “printing to scale” may cause a shift down and right causing unequal borders but the prints will be to scale.

Thanks for listening,

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 01-05-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Sam, I agree and have had the problem that you say when my backup printer's driver was sending wrong data to Chief. Not a problem with my new printer.
    Scale is, I believe, the best way to go.
    John
    V X1-....

Originally posted by Doug Park
    [B]"Fit to Paper" and "To Scale" are equivalent if the printer paper you have chosen in page setup is the paper you are actually printing to. [B]
    This is the way I have been doing this and it ALLWAY'S prints to scale exactly! I never had it scale wrong.
    HP had an issue a while back with the print drivers for the DesignJet 500 that was off centering the sheet. They finally fixed the problem with a new driver. (Aside: On page "0" you can select the edge of the paper and adjust it.)

I think going to page setup first and setting the right printer paper is the key.
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Hi Gary,

I think you are missing my point. Not all of us have a plotter sitting right next to us. Some may, but still see a purpose for printing to scale. I'm beating a dead horse here but this seems essential from my perspective.

Sam

During beta testing I had an "emotional" time getting used to the new programming of the "Print Setup Dialog"; I thought at that time Dermot had gone nuts or something and was very vocal about it. Now that I really understand how it works and how to use it, I love it and would never choose the "old" method and programming. Nothing is ever "perfect" only ones' understanding can have the appearancy of perfection per unit of time. It is as it is and I like it as it is.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

If you are using a print service the recommended method is to print to PDF and then have the PDF printed by the print service. This normally results in the least number of surprises in terms of scaling. However, it is possible that the PDF reader may rescale the output when it prints it, so the print service needs to be careful to ensure that no rescaling options are selected in the PDF.

It is also important to ensure that you have an adequate border to allow for printable area differences between printers. Most modern printers have about a 1/8" border but some of the older printers have borders in excess of 1/2".
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Hi David,

I don't think I would take issue with the new dialog, although the extra layer seems unnecessary/redundant to this v.10 novice. Perhaps I will come around.

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 01-05-2006 at 02:52 PM.