Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

“Print to Scale” and “Not in Color”

Hello,

It would appear that the v.10 print dialog default is “Fit to Paper” and “Print in Color” for each print in same session, which is opposite from previous versions. Since I use “Print to Scale” and “Not in Color” I was wondering if there is a way to change those defaults back.

TIA,

Sam

Sam,
    If I understand you, you would just need to uncheck "Print in Color" to get Black.

Also Selecting "To Scale 1in = 1in" would print to what ever scale you set in your layout.

Hope this helps
    Gary Doski
    3 D Homes Design Services LLC
    Certified Chief Architect X5 Trainer.
    Ver. X5, thru X1
    I train you on your jobs!
    Learn & get your work done at the same time!

Building Official- CT
    203-270-0646 fax 203-304-2101
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Radeon ATI 9870x2 Crossfire 2Gb
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Gary,

I don't understand the flip-flop. Yes, I can click an extra 2 buttons per sheet, as long as I remember to every time. I'm just setting up my first v.10 layout and I was hoping to avoid this new and unnecessary repetition. Not to mention the risk of inaccuracy.

Sam

You do not have to do this per sheet.
    Just set it once and print all your sheets (pages)

I print all plan sets at once. My printer only stops if it runs out of paper.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

Maybe only 1 Click...

If you set your printer to print color as grey scale then you would not have to change it in the print dbx.

Set it up in the printer default for C.A. print profile.

Works for me.
    Michael L. Dalton
    Parallax Designs

Re: “Print to Scale” and “Not in Color”

Originally posted by spencerdesign
    Hello,

It would appear that the v.10 print dialog default is “Fit to Paper” and “Print in Color” for each print in same session, which is opposite from previous versions. Since I use “Print to Scale” and “Not in Color” I was wondering if there is a way to change those defaults back.
    Go to Start|Printers and FAXES, change the windows default for the printer you are using to have exactly the options you want. Those settings, at least, will remain the same from sheet to sheet, and session to session.

Unfortunately, some things can't be set as default ...

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

For specific reasons I won’t go into I have always had to print sheets individually (not one big PDF with lots of pages). These two settings seem to be a function of Chief programming and are unaffected by the specific printer settings, at least for my printers. The grayscale does not work either.

I feel that if color is turned off in layout that the print dialog should probably know this. At the very least the settings should stick for the session. These settings have been correct in all previous versions IMHO.

Sam
    Last edited by spencerdesign; 01-04-2006 at 07:18 AM.

Of course Sam's right to be annoyed about this. What designer who creates construction documents wouldn't want their CAD program to default to "print to scale?" Regardless, it should be a default that can be user-programmed, along with the other checkboxes in the printer setup dbx, and it should stick. I've griped about this for a while. Glad to know I'm not the only one.
    Last edited by alobartn; 01-05-2006 at 06:45 AM.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

YES YES "Print To Scale" needs to be the default. Or, at least stick once changed to "Print To Scale"
    John
    V X1-....

if that is how you want it to print, set it in the printer driver itself...start>printers>[your printer]

Tim, that doesn't work here. Chief resizes the drawing before sending it and you can't put it back to "1in = 1in" scale after it leaves as "Fit to Paper".
    John
    V X1-....

did you try it?

don't even worry about the setting in Chief...ie leave the fit to paper setting as is..

Tim, as usual you were right. Thanks for your post, it forced me to go back and reinvesgitate our printing and storage process. I found the bug.

For reduced man hours spent printing and to maintain a history/arcive of what has been printed I set up the following procedure a while ago.

Print to PdfFactory Pro
    Save a PDF copy
    PdfFactory print to Fineprint
    Fineprint then prints to the printer

I use these printing steps to get collated copies printed in reverse order. It's nice to just walk away and not have to be called back to the printer.
    Last edited by Yuma Home Design; 01-05-2006 at 08:59 AM.
    John
    V X1-....

I use the printer queue to seperate plan sets.

If I need 8 sets of CD's I just print one set 8 times. These sets build up in the printer queue which I can open a diag for and pause, cancel printing if I need to. (like running out of paper)

I have the HP500 DesignJet, When the pages (1st page) comes off the roll, face up then they are cut and fall into a tray face down. This collates all sets in one pile if I am not there or if I am there I can staple each set as it finishes. (I made a simular paper tray for my HP 1220 out of cardboard)

My point is, this is a very quick & inexpensive way to get your CD's colated and ready to assemble with very little extra time.

I started teaching this method in my intermediate seminars. The students really like it.
    Gary Doski
    Ver. X5, thru X1

Building Official- CT
    garydoski531@gmail.com
    www.3dhomesdesign.com

Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit
    i7 975 3.3 GHz 8 cores
    Corsairs 12Gb Ram
    Ultra 1600 watt PS

The adobe reader has a collate option and a reverse page option. I have an Epson wide format (prints with the pages up). I tell it to collate and reverse pages and select the number of sets I need and when they are all done they are face up collated and in the right order.