Thread: Plan prices

2020 is offline Registered User Promoted

Plan prices

I purchased Chief several months ago, because I love drafting, drawing plans, elevations, etc. Recently, a couple of home builders got their hands on some of my work, and asked me to give them a price on about 30 different models, ranging from 1,000 to 3,000 square feet. They are looking for dimensioned floor plans, an elevation page, a sales page, a foundation plan, and possibly a utility plan, all in 8th inch scale. This is no problem for me to take care of, but I don't know what to charge! Can someone clue me in on the going rates? Is there a general price per square foot, or do you charge by how rich the guy is??? Please help!! Thanks in advance!

I have found that in charging for services, you must be fair to yourself and your client.
    The client must understand that you make a living designing and drafting plans and that this is your total living income.
    Fees are different for different areas of the country and economy.
    I , myself, have a minimum for any project I contract for ($750.00). Sometimes that is enough for me to do a simple plan and elevation. Other times this fee is not enough to cover my time because the home has an elaborate floor plan, is multi story, or needs a lot of detailing. You can charge by the sq. ft., or by the hour. My hourly fee is $35.00 and sq.ft. fee varies depending on the complexity of the plan. I have a min. .85 p.s.f. for drafting only for ramblers or ranch style homes. A lot of variables fit into the equation of pricing, so just make sure that what you charge is both fair to you and your client. If you charge by the hour, make sure you give a maximum dollar amount of what it could take, or not to exceed figure.
    I find that if the client feels I charge too much or that what I do is not worth the price I am charging, I again remind him that this is what I do for a living and is my only source of income. If the client cannot understand this, I ask them to shop around and see what others are charging if they wish.
    We as Chief users have a lot of time and money invested in our software and hardware, plus many years of experience developing accurate and proffessionl plans. Do not sell yourself cheap, nor your work.

2020:

There have been numerous threads devoted to the subject of "what to charge", and the consensus seems to have been that you should look around at your specific market and set your price according to what the market will bear.

Some charge by the hour, (I find that a fairly complete 3D model will usually take around 20 hrs to complete, more with added construction documentation and details); others who are more experienced will set their fees according to the number of square feet, adjusting that fiqure with the complexity and detail requirements of the model.

No matter how you approach your particular fee structure, you must somehow find a common ground between what you feel you must be compensated for the time and money you have invested in being proficient at Chief, and what your client is willing to pay for your abilities.

Perhaps a search of this forum and the chief-users forum for threads relating to fees might give you some further insight and direction in this matter.

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

Hi,
    Simply pick up the phone book and ask a couple of businesses doing similar work. Say your a prospective client wanting a ballpark estimate on say a 2000ft2 plan. Then decide how qualified you are compared to them and set your rate!
    Its called "market research"
    People get estimates for plans all the time, and other businesses probably do aswell.

Regards Rick

2020 is offline Registered User Promoted
    Thanks all! I have made several attempts to contact local drafting and architect services, and they either have disconnected numbers, or don't return their calls. It's easy to see why these builders are looking to me for help. I guess I control the market here, and can charge whatever I want! (JK) One of the builders told me that $.28 per/ft was the last price he paid in our area, (within the last six months) and that seemed to be fair market value. That's really all I am looking for, is a rough idea. At this point I know about as much about charging for plans as I know about building nuclear reactors. Again, I appreciate all responses!

.28 Sq.Ft. is outragiously cheap. If you are selling stock plans that you just have to print off, I could see it It also depends on how detailed your plans are, how many changes you have to make, and things like that. I guess for a really simple set of houses that you could whip out quickly, it might be ok. Personally I'd rather charge by the hour any day, but I do far more complex custom work and I think it's a fairer way to bill.

Back where I used to live in New Mexico, the going lowest rate seemed to be about $25;hr, and it went up from that. I ran about $30/35 depending on the type of work, and nobody EVERY complained after seeing a competor's work. I did a few sets of prints by the Sq.Ft, but not many. Usually 80c, $1 for log homes.

Here in CO it's a differnet story. Things seem to run about 30% higher.

I have also done work in NJ, CA, and NY for betwen $50 & $65/hr. One of the guy's paying $65 couldn't get over how cheap it was (CA).

Figure out what your time is worth. How much do you need to make to cover costs and ern a liveing? How much are your competitors chargeing? How much better are your services compared to theirs?

There. I KNEW I could muddy this water, and by jingo I've done it.

Caleb

I'm a builder and the last time I paid .28 per SF for plans by a Designer was 1977. I've built primarily in South Texas, but also in Northern Kentucky and the going rate is from .65 to 1.50 per SF, depending on complexity and if it is a stock plan or custom from scratch. I also do design work occasionally for other builders and I charge $75 per hour (I have 30 years experience) or a SF charge. $35 an hour seems realistic if your experience is thin. ...Bill

I'm a builder but I do plans for other builders and private ppl as well. I can do simple plans for builders since they don't require any great detail and charge them .30c/f at that rate I wouldn't charge by the hour since I'm making much more than the previous amounts mentioned. The only time I set a rate is for a renovation and that alas has a set fee for the plans

Forgot to mention it in my previous but the going rate in New Zealand is about $10 per sq metre which is approx $1 per sq ft. Mind you it is to far away to apply to you guys
    Regards Rick

I agree with most of the other posts, don't sell yourself short. I have been designing spec homes as well as custom and light comercial structuture's since 1973 and I really feel that anything less than 40 cents per square foot or $30.00 to $35.00 per hour is cutting yourself short. Consider that investment in equipment, time and your knowledge. I don't know what your skill level is, but if you can provide a set of plans that will get a permit and the trades can build from, the above minimums should be fair for both you and your client.

Good luck and most of all, enjoy.

RP

Hi All,

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am working toward a degree in architecture and recently attended a seminar on business and being an architect. Some interesting facts quoted by professors and guest speakers:

1. CADD Drafters: $0.35/sqft to convert plans (e.g. AutoCad to Chief Architect).
    2. CADD Drafters: $1.50/sqft to draw plans from preliminary sketches.
    3. Residential Designers: $200/1000sqft base price plus $45/hr to $65/hr.
    4. Architects for Residential & Light Commercial: $300/1000sqft base price plus $60/hr to $80/hr.
    5. Architects with Structural Engineering Certification for Residential & Light Commercial: $500/1000sqft base price plus $100/hr.
    6. Famous Architects who do large (>4000sqft) complex custom built residential home: $10,000 for preliminary design plus $120/hr for final design plus $85/hr for design changes.
    7. Large Structures: Salaried by an Architecture Firm; depends on experience and tenue.

They also pointed out that charges for design changes requested by the client after initial contract were negotiable, but should be around $35/hr to $50/hr.

Of course, the variances in price are based on geographic location in the United States.

Before anyone gets the hair on fire about these figures, I am only reproducing what they described at the seminar.

Have a nice day! Don Randall

I to have recently started to draw plans for people other that myself. There is a wide range of what people or charging. There is a prominate firm here that has a tone of plans and to just come in off of the street and pick a stock plan you are at least $800.00 and then there rate to draw a plan is if I remember correctly is about $1.25-1.50 per foot. I just signed a contract for a set of plans the other day and I figured that I would start at $.50 per ft and then revisions were $50.00/hr. It sounds from this thread that I may be a little short in the sq. ft. price but oh well. I look at it like its just extra money for me right now since maost of my income is from the actual building of the houses. Good luck with your projects.

Scott Tallman