Corrugated Metal and Gates

Does anyone have an idea of how to select and use corrugated metal for the exterior surface of a pony wall or small balcony wall? The metal itself would be a silver galvanized steel with a sine corrugation "S" feature.

Second, I've tried using the door command for a small 3' by 3' gate, also with corrugated metal. I keep getting a frame around the opening, and am not sure how to work around this unwanted feature. Am just trying to show a simple gate with two hinges and a hasp with no frame.

The reason for this question is that I'm working on a mid-century home, and this is a prominent feature to those homes. Any help would really be appreciated!

Best,

Dave
    Riverside, CA

Dave,

Is this the type corrugated metal? I threw this together quickly, does not have the hasp....has strap hinges. The gate is a slab door with supressed casing in a solid railing wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Cliff,
    That is exactly what I have been trying to do! The siding on mine runs horizontally, but that is the "look" that these mid-century homes have.

I started with a pony wall, then changed materials, but didn't find the "siding" materials. I selected the galvanized finish from the "colors" palette. The bad thing though, my pony wall footing was lower than the monolithic slab. Corrected this with the elevation camera tool and raised it to match.

Did you find actual "siding" material to use for the slab tool? I am still using V9.54 as I don't feel comfortable switching everything over to 10.06 yet.

Really appreciate your help!
    Best,

Dave
    Riverside, CA

Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Dave,

Mine was created with the bumpmap under roofing (metal) in V10. I don't know if this is available in V9.5 or not ?? Maybe someone else would know. I couldn't locate it. Jef's symbols may be the best way to go for V9.5.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

ARCHIJEF2000,
    Thanks for sending the info on the Texture Processor software. I downloaded it and duplicated the sinewave corrugated metal that you had linked.

I saved the file and noticed that it had a bitmap extension (.bmp). When I went back into Chief 9.5 to selected and "Import" the corrugated bitmap file, it would not allow me to select this. Rather, it looks for .dat file extensions.

What is the procedure that you use for creating, saving, and importing the Texture Processor materials? I'm a little confused on how to import these.

Appreciate both you and Cliff's information. Very helpful...

Best,
    Dave
    Riverside, CA

You cannot use the import wizard to import textures, first thing to do turn off Chief completely. Then find out where Chief is installed on your computer.( probably C/Program files/Art/Chief architect x.xx, then look for the "textures"file, open this and drag your new texture into a sub folder of your choice( could be the my textures, or you could create a new folder, if apropriate) Now re-open Chief.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

ARCHIJEF2000,
    Thanks for your helpful tips...

I am having a little difficulty trying to get the JPEG texture to show up in the program.

I launched Chief 10.06 after dragging and dropping the JPEG image of my corrugated metal. I did notice that there are two files associated with the "Textures" folder. One is the JPEG image file; the other is a file with an extension ".THM"

I've tried dragging and dropping this JPEG image into "-My Textures" with no luck either.

Is there something I'm missing?
    Thanks for your expertise.

Best,

Dave
    Riverside, CA
    Last edited by DHerber; 12-08-2005 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks to your help and insight, I was able to figure out what I was doing wrong with the texture file.

In the Chief Training Videos #611 "Converting Images to Materials..." they showed how to configure this.

My question now is regarding an errant vertical mullion that somehow shows up when I render using the camera with full overview. I've suppressed the casings, and basically eliminated the door frame itself, but am not sure why these vertical mullions are showing up?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best,

Dave
    Riverside, CA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DHerber; 12-08-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Dave,

I don't know the type wall you're using, but I was able to make it look OK using a solid railing wall.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Cliff,
    Thanks for all of your time with this. Appreciate it.

I took your advice and it came out fine. Guess I was trying to figure out what was wrong with the gate rather than the wall definition itself.

Best,

Dave
    Riverside, CA

You're welcome Dave. Glad I could help.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e