36" window in a 51" wall--why not?

Help--must be missing something. Trying to build a bow wall out of 5 segmented walls turning at 30 degrees. Chief will not let me enter a window width of 36-3/16" wide; certainly it's not a question of trimmers--is it? Looking at the help index, I can't find a quick answer. Probably a stupid question, but what am I missing in order to place this std width in a much wider wall?

Thanks in advance--Don
    Don Van Gorp
    Minnesota

Don,

What is the maximum size window the dbx allows you to input?
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

I have the center wall of this bow wall assembly-almost like half a gazebo which is 52-11/16 wide. Into it I have put a std size casement which is 36-3/16 wide. I'm putting an broken arch transom over it and am trying to copy it into the four adjacent walls which measure 51" wide and all Chief will let me paste is a 35" unit, automatically narrowing it for me. NASA is not on my resume, but I gotta think I can get a 36-3/16 wide unit in a 51" wall. What obvious thing am I missing??
    Don Van Gorp
    Minnesota

Don,
    I have no idea if I'm duplicating close to what you described. I know the windows don't have the right look, but if the walls look close, I got them to the measurements you listed and was able to copy paste the 36-3/16" windows. If I'm way off, you may want to post that area of your plan and maybe I, or someone else can help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Yep, you gots it. How come I can't do that....51" walls...36-3/16 winda...I just keep gettting a message "not enough room to copy into that wall". Here is what I have; I suppose I could put in 35" wide since that is all Chief is letting me enter and do a lot of explaining, but I'd rather not. I have casing supressed, trimmers in Bay to zero, I feel like I need to turn a light on or something. Thanks for your reply by the way--Don
    Don Van Gorp
    Minnesota

Don,

Try putting in smaller windows and then enlarging them once placed.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Don,

Mine is about the same as yours. I don't know why you're not able to get a larger window in. I can get nearly 40". Maybe someone will have come across this before and be able to answer.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Have you checked "ignore casing for opening resize" under plan defaults (arrow icon)?

Katy

Thanks very much!! That did it. I knew it was some button I hadn't hit. Was not familiar with that screen.

Again, Thanks very much!!

Don
    Don Van Gorp
    Minnesota

dbl click the select tool to open the Plan defaults>general settings, check the box for 'ignore casing for opening resize'....then select the window, and enter a value far larger trhan what the wall is...chief will automatically center the window and size it to its maximum for the wall...

you can over ride this placement as well ...place your window, then hold down the ctrl key and slide it to one side of the wall until it stops, then while it is still selected, hold down the ctrl key again, and grab the window edge that is not in a corner and drag it to the opposite corner...although with this over ride you will be eliminating any room for framing in the wall
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 12-09-2005 at 06:52 AM.