Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intermediate training?

There is an intermediate training session coming to Toronto on the 28th of Nov.

I read the description for the course but still not sure it is for me. I am nowhere near to being a Chief Guru, but I am definately not a beginner.

I use Chief on average for about 6hrs. every work day. I have all the training CD's and watch them quite often.

My question is if anybody who uses Chief as much as I do have taken the intermediate course, and if you did, how helpful was it?

I don't want the company to spring almost $500 for stuff I already know.

What do you guys think??

My opinion is that you would be better in an advanced course. There the group partly decides which topics to cover. Naturally, in the intermediate class there will be plenty you did not know too.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Dai,

Another option you should consider is on line personal tutoring offered byChief Architect Inc. , David J. Potter , Louis Fernandez and Dan Bauman, all from different personalities and prices. Using this sort of service you can get addressed exactly what you are having a problem in and with Chief and on plans that you are currently working on, all without leaving your home or office!

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

I just took the intermediate class last month and found that a year of heavy participation on the forum's and reading every posting has given me a well-rounded and deep understanding of what Chief can do and what tools are available etc. The instructor while familiar with Ver 10 had learned Chief a few versions back and hadn't brought his training up to "speed" in many areas.

being a pest I was constantly pointing out things he failed to mention. By the 2nd day if a student asked a question and he didn't know the answer he looked to me.

This is not to imply that the instructor was not good or that I know everything, far from it in either case. However, since the focus of the class was to cover the ins and outs of Chief I found that I was already there and some due to the wonderful education I received from these forums.

If you have watched the vids and used the ref manual and read most/all of the forum postings you will possibly find the intermediate class to be a waste.

If you are unsure of all the things that Chief can do and what tools can do them then it could be a good class.

It was more of a intro/demo then an indepth how-to class.

there was virtually no hands-on even tho they have you bring your own laptop. If you take the time to try something out he has already moved on to the next topic.

I plan to take the advanced class and hope it will be a more hands on workshop experience.

In summary, the intermediate class could be good for someone who hasn't studied the details of Chief but I found it to
    be better suited as a "beginner" class.

I had expected to learn how to stairs and roofs well and instead only picked up a few more tips/tricks. I still need hands-on in those and many other areas. I have found that
    Knowing is NOT doing.

HTH

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Lew, what is HTH?
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

I also took the intermediate class, just 2 weeks ago.

My experience was different in that the 1st things we did were introductions and a brief explaination of our uses and experience with Chief. Then we wrote a list of questions we wanted covered during the class.

Our instructor was very up to date on V10 and by the end of the class all the questions, plus new ones that came up, had been answered. By the way, the topics listed for the class were also covered.

The class was taught in a computer lab with Chief on all machines and we had time to try each topic that was taught with individual help for anyone who needed it.

Being fairly new to Chief, I thought this approach was excellent. I learned a lot in 2 days. Still a long way to go, but I am much more comfortable with Chief.

If all classes took this approach, the experience would benefit everyone, even more advanced users.

Lew, sorry your experience was not as beneficial.

just my .02
    Larry Ott
    V10.08a

hope this helps...................

oic. thanks!
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Larry:

I wish I had been in your class. Who did the training ?

I dont' need the instructor's name but what firm ?

I had signed up for the Idaho meeting but was unable to make it so I was given $695 credit for classes and used $495 for the Intermediate class. I want to take the advanced class and hope to get a better one this time.

Workshops are so much better than lecture/demo.

I'm disappointed in the class I took but I did notice that most of the other 16 students were getting a lot of benefit because they were not up on most the aspects of Chief like I was. For them it was probably a decent class, tho a few did comment over lunch that they expected more hands-on.

I was found the class informative in that my usual education method is too study a subject then take the class to fill in the holes and to confirm that I have learned the material.

We did cover all the topics on the agenda and these agendas are published on the web sites for Chief and for the vendors who are doing the training.

I can still recommend the training but it you have doubts it might be best to discuss with the trainer before you sign-up to ensure you will get what you want out of the class.

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Lew,

The class was an official Chief class and was held in Albuquerque, NM. David Potter was the instructor.

It was a long drive from Denver over a weekend, but it was worth it.

Another intermediate class just appeared on the schedule for Denver in January. I am seriously considering attending that one also. Mike Nuess will be the instructor.

Now if you really want to attend an advanced class there is one in December on a cruise. How cool would it be to learn Chief while cruising the Caribbean. Wish I had some extra vacation. :-)
    Larry Ott
    V10.08a

Yeah, I looked over the cruise class but felt it was too short for the amount of money I'd have to spend for the cruise and air fare and hotel night before/after.

It will be interesting to get feedback from those who go to see if it was worth it.

I may have to do the David Potter classes then in the spring!!!

Lew
    Lew Buttery

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051

Larry,

Thanks for the very kind words [the check is in the mail ] ; I am glad you felt strong enough about your experience to post it publicly. No higher praise can be had by any teacher anywhere than that of ones' students.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

David,

Your welcome.

I just believe in sharing my experience with others whether it is good or bad so that they can have a basis for making future decesions.

Thanks for a great class.
    Larry Ott
    V10.08a

Dai,

I know Rob Fisher. He is a great guy and an excellent teacher. If you have questions I would call Rob and talk to him.

Hello Dai: I appolgize for not replying to this thread ealier. While I think I can show you various tips and tricks to speed up development of your plans I think your best bet would be an advanced seminar or on- line training with one of the very knowedgable on-line trainers.
    Rob Fisher
    X3, Win XP
    Composite Hockey Stick
    Former Oilers and Flames fan