Thread: Half a hole

Half a hole

Does anyone know how to make a hole half way though a wall. not an opening but a depression cut out of the wall but not all the way through.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Try this thread and the thread it points to:

http://www.chieftalk.com/showthread....ighlight=niche

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Have you tried putting an open box or cabinet a couple of inches deep and assigning sheetrock to materials? Control/drag into the wall.

Tommy

Is it a recessed opening? What shape are you looking for? In the picture is a custom doorway, recessed into the wall. I'm sure any shape can be done this way and set however deep into the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Is this closer?
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Headbanger

Nice one Cliff. have you been banging your head against the wall( trying to get rid of the living room area) , I like the dent thing. I tried your suggestion with custom doorway symbols. Here's one I made earlier.

I made this in Chief, and then used Sketchup to layer it, although can probably all be done in Chief. I made sure the thickness of the object was the same as the wall I would use.It was imported as a doorway, and seems to work well

Curiosly I found when the thickness of the wall was increased the Doorway symbol increased in sympathy.

P.S Just like to make it clear to new viewers, a "doorway symbol" is not necessarily anything like a door frame, and it could be practically anything, here we are talking about a technique
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 11-20-2005 at 09:31 AM.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Ceilings

While we are on the subject is there a way of applying this method to ceilings(recessed lamps)
    Last edited by ARCHIJEF2000; 11-20-2005 at 09:32 AM.

Yes, I have been banging my head. I may be starting to think like you! Actually, I believe you gave me the idea to do this. I had in the past seen some of your's and Tim's window symbols and your terrain features making a pool. Incorporated the two ideas and made the doorway. However, I see no useful purpose it would serve other than to test your imagination and understanding of the program.

I'll work on the recessed can idea, but the best solution, I believe, came from this thread.

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/chieft...d&pagenumber=2
    Last edited by ambrozac; 11-20-2005 at 10:08 AM.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Yeah the idea of using a doorway compleatly passed me by, I should have known.
    I can now see that cutting a hole in the ceiling is no problem at all, and thanks to Tim O D s little triangle idea, as small as you want. To plug the hole in the floor upstairs, just copy the hole once and convert this into a slab, select a height that is equal to the height of the upstairs floor( see room specification dialog box), and assign a thickness that is less than that of the platform above.

And now this

different kind of niche, made from terrain

Is this using the terrain feature - hole ?

Or something else ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

More fun with terrain

This is a raised region then a flat region inside this, then a road added on this flat region.
    Here's a project I'm working on the front of the house is a symbol made from terrain, the holes are made by placing bits of road then deleting before making a symbol.
    I always say there's nothing quite like a home you hewed yourself