Create Attic Walkthrough wanted (please)

I've tried following the advice given in the threads I have found concerning attics but just can't get it to work right for me.

I'm using 9.5.

The attic will have no "flat" ceiling but the ceiling line will follow the line of the roof to the central roof ridge ( I think the terms used on these forums for this is a Cathedral Roof). There are no Dormers and it's just a simple inverted V shaped gable. The Attic is already in exisitence in my house and we are having a "loft conversion" (as we say in the UK) done.

I've created the floor below the attic room with all of the main walls in the right place.

The roof will meet the top of the brick work of the walls of the existing 1st floor (in UK that's the one above the one where the front door is!) All of the new development will be inside the existing roof. We'll be having Velux type windows in the pitch of the roof.

Can some please point me towards the relevant chapters in the manual or even better, give me an idiot's step by step guide to creating my attic room with a ceiling that's not flat!

I'm not bothered about trying to fix what I've got, it's the proper process from the start that I'm most interested in.

Thanks very much
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-07-2005 at 05:52 AM.

If you can open the room spec. box=structure=uncheck cieling over this room.
    Also in general=raise cieling higher=say 10"
    Hope this helps
    Allen Colburn

If you name a room attic in Chief it has no ceiling at all.

Ok, found the walkthrough in the videos which I think fits the thing I'm trying to do. (CD3 No. 363). I tried top follow the steps in the video (though not using the dormer as I didn'r need one).

I created Floor 1 as a simple square box. I then created floor 2 using Floor 1 as a layout plan.

I then set 2 opposite walls on floor 2 as gable walls (East & West) and the other 2 opposite walls (North & South) as Knee Walls.

I then did an auto roof with my pitch at 45deg.

However I get a message about my North & south Walls saying:

"No appropriate roof plane is adjacent to the section starting up from this knee wall. Need a lower roof plane whose high portion ends at the knee wall with which to match levels"

If I ok through these messages, my pitched roof draws ok but I still get full height walls, so instead of my attic roof/ceiling plane starting at floor level (which I want it to) it starts above four normal height walls.

Alternatively I get a sloped roof on the first floor and then my knee walls are drawn full height with a roof just over the room they cover.

I've re-watched the video several times and am sure I followed all of the steps.

Any ideas please?

thanks

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-07-2005 at 05:53 AM.

allen,

Thanks for that though I probably didn't make clear as to what I wanted.

I've attached a (VERY) quick illustration. My new living space will be in the top loft area. the exisitng roof reaches the top of the walls of floor 1 on two sides and a gable end at the other two.

Thanks again..
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have lost me anyway
    How do you change back to imperial messurments from metric?
    I was realy confussed by that.
    Allen Colburn
    Thought this was what you wanted,guess not
    Your welcome

I think there may be some problem with the archive you posted, although it's labelled as loft.zip it won't download properly for me in either Firefox or Netscape.

Possibly I may have re-opened a version in cache thinking it was the one you'd changed, so that in my last post I thought you'd not seen what I was trying to get to.

Your screen shot is exactly what I want. Could you please try attaching another version of it?

If not what had I got wrong?

Many thanks, I really appreciate your help.
    Last edited by Atticus; 11-07-2005 at 07:35 AM.

Are you using 10?
    Allen

Atticus,

You might try opening your (East/West) 2nd floor walls and change them to gable. Build your roof. Open each Roof Plane's dbx and lower the height of the roof to the 1st Floor.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Sorry I have 10,and I tryed opening what I had and it was empty.
    So I think I know how to fix it but not send it anyway
    I'll see if I can explain it easy in next post.
    Allen

Chieftalk does not like a multi word attachment. Try renaming the zip file to see it. ...Or reattach it with one word.

Think I got it now
    deleet the roof,make 2 ends gables,build roof=then make new floor -2nd.
    That should work.
    Allen

It works for me
    Allen