How to post multiple pictures w/text

For those of you who are new, or those that would like a way to post multiple pictures on a Chief Talk post, along with notes and arrows, I have found a way that takes no additional software besides Chief Architect.

Start with the plan/elevation/overview/render that you want to show. Click "File", "Export", "Picture". A dialog box will open asking where to save the file, and save as what type file. Pick or create a "tempoary" folder to save in, and choose "JPG" as file type.

Next, create a new layout, and set the page size as "Arch C" or 18" X 36". At the layout page, click "File", "Import", "Picture". Find that jpeg picture you made and select it. You can then select a corner and resize to fit the page how you like. Next, double click the "Text" tool and set the text size at 1/2". You can then add text w/ arrows etc., to point out the problem areas you are talking about.

When you are happy with the page, while still at the layout page, click "File", "Export", "Picture", and create a jpeg picture of that layout page. My Chief will automatically select .bmp file type if I don't specify a jpeg, which will create a picture that has too high a file size to post on CT. Choosing jpeg as a file type will generally create a picture that is plenty under the 100K size requirement for Chief Talk

If it is still over 100K file size, do a search here on "picture resizing" for a free program that will do that.

Hope this helps some.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

I like that it's basically one step for describing in detail a specific issue.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Thanks
    Good Tip.

Great idea - I did a test to see if how it works...

Hey - it actually worked. I've never used that "attach file" button before - it never seemed to work since it doesn't show until you submit. Now I'm wondering why the graphic is way to the left? No big deal, just wondering...

But that was a great idea to use Chief layout - thanks again.

Christina

Oops - I mean way to the right - sorry, I'm dsylexic.

Big Indy

SWEET!!! You got my vote for tip of the month!

John
    John

John Jones Architect llc
    Westport, CT

(203) 227-9817 jjallc@optonline.net www.johnjonesaia.com
    X5 latest; Samsung series 7 Chronos touch, Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, AMD Radeon 8770m 1G, yada yada yada
    Blessed with 5 adorable children - Psalm 127!

Allen,

Great tip - for the few images I've posted, I was using PowerPoint to add the text and arrows. Your approach is much cleaner - thanks!

Originally posted by cgirerd
    Now I'm wondering why the graphic is way to the left? No big deal, just wondering...
    If you look at the jpg that was submitted, I suspect your "white page image" is centered on the much larger grey background. While I haven't tried this, I suspect that if you resize the window containing your layout and then do an export that you can minimize the surrounding grey area...

OK, just tried exporting an picture... The picture perimeter was determined by the window. So, you can adjust your window size to "crop" the picture so only what you want displayed is part of the final jpg. (hope that made some sort of sense ).

- Barton
    Last edited by Barton Brown; 11-04-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Okay, I've tried the window resize idea...

Yep, that was the problem - thanks.

Christina

Here's another tip to get rid of that grey. After I saved they layout page as a jpeg, I went to the folder is was stored in, right clicked on it and selected "Open With" and chose my photo editing program. (would you believe I am using "Picture IT Express" that came for free on my Wal-Mart picture CD). I then cropped the gray out of it and saved. it now looks like this: Or, if the layout page jpeg has more white on it than you want to post, you can use that method for that also. This might be a slightly better method than re-sizing yout window, because it is still large enough on the page you can see more detail.

Allen
    Last edited by Allen Brown; 11-05-2005 at 04:11 AM.
    Allen Brown
    Indy Blueprints
    Residential & Commercial Designs & Drafting Service
    V8-X4, Specializing in Plan Completion, Problem solving, & Chief Architect Training.

Free Chief Architect Training Videos:
    www.IndyBlueprints.com
    Need help on a plan? Or 1 on 1 instruction? Email or call.

www.UBuildItIndy.com

Fantastic! Great idea.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Thanks Allen! Time Saver.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Looks good
    Glad someone is using the screen
    Allen Colburn