Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something's missing...

The sweetest woman on earth, I've discovered, apparently lives in SD, and she really likes Victorian houses. Naturally since I've got it really bad for her, I wanted to design one to show her.

But it's missing something... spindlework under the porch roof, one of the things I think is sort of a defining characteristic of a Victorian home.

So what are the most popular methods for accomplishing this, since I can't find the appropriate symbol in the library?

Here's the house (initial design stages, so it's a little rough):
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

www.victorianwalk.com

On victorian houses...the gable end is the hood ornament. There's lots of eye candy too....as you pointed out on the porches.

Usually the houses are light in color. Very feminine.

...the millwork section should have brackets and stuff.

Good Luck.

is this what your talking about or a a small ballistrade under the beam?
    OPIE AND ANTHONY ON XM 202 SPREAD THE VIRUS!!!!

is this it?

Yes, Chiefdog, that is it.

The house was made red because that is her favorite color. Maybe a lighter cream color with the trim red would be better?
    Jason McQueen

i cant make a symbol for you but here is how i made it. i used cad lines for alignment and polyline solids for upper and lower trim and D-01 delicate spindal from the library

I was hoping for something quicker. If I don't hear anything or see a symbol pop up I can make the symbol myself starting with doing what you describe. It seemed to be such a common feature I just thought someone might already have it licked.
    Jason McQueen

you could always use the multiple copy tool to speed it up then all you have to do is put in the polyline solids
    (nevermind it doesnt work with the spindles) lol my bad

The thing that stands out on most vics is the elegant staircase up to the first floor., with a wrap porch.
    Try raising it up 5' and add a nice staircase.
    They also had tall proportions on W to H for the most part. 10-12' ceilings. 3 color paint at a min. looks nice

Yes, I'm aware Victorians sit up high off the ground. I just haven't got that far yet. I'd like to go from 9' to 10' ceiling but the rooms in this house aren't big and I still want it to feel comfortable.

Latest color scheme. I think this looks better.
    Jason McQueen

Hi Jason - looks like a fun project...

I actually like the first color scheme better. The red trim on the second one is too bright.

You might have all this already, but if not... here's a pretty good short article on Victorian paint schemes...
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_architec...073310,00.html

and here's on interesting link to something called "Color Schemer" - that has a nice array of Victorian colors...
    http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/tags/victorian

and this one has a nice palette of Victorian exterior colors too
    http://www.behr.com/behrx/inspiration/historical_2.jsp

Red is a really strong color, and she may like it a lot, but not necessarily as a house color. Red doors are often a popular statement...

Anyway, have fun,
    Christina

There are many things associated with Victorian styles. Stacked Bays, Turrets, Full and Partial Returns, Dental Molding and at least 4 colors of paint. I am attaching a picture of one of our local Vic's for your study. If you need a more detailed picture or pictures of other Vic's, just let me know.

Good Luck,
    Michael Bailey
    Bailey's CAD Services
    Ferndale, CA
    707-407-7660
    bcs-office@baileyhouses.com

SOFTWARE:
    XP Pro, CA V10 - X2

HARDWARE:
    ASUS A8N-SLI 64BIT AMD DualCore
    Athlon X2 4400+ 2.2GHz, 4GB DDR400 RAM,
    XFX GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB Dual DVI Video
    DesignJet 500 & 130nr Plotters

Jason,

Nice house -
    A few suggestions:

Go for a Gable End on the front door wall (hips aren't common, photo in previous post excepted, in traditional victorians). It gives the needed height for the former gable to play against. Saves some $$ in roof framing as well.

Keep main roof pitches steep (12:12 min, perhaps up to 16:12, if zoning allows the height). Low pitches on porch roofs add to the playfulness.

Check windows in other victorians (esp. in her locale). You'll probably find 4/1 windows or 2/2 (panes were able to be manufactured larger as this style became popular around turn of last century) (or 1/1 - bland!) or craftsman/prairie style. 6 over 1's (colonial) are rare - but you may find 12 or more over 1's (for the detail).

You may want to try pulling the front bay up to the 2nd story as well, just for kicks.

Outwater Plastics has a great catalog full of architectural, especially victorian, trim pieces (at least last time I checked a couple years ago) when it's time to build.

Lastly, and most importantly, all the best with the lady. While victorians are charming, let YOUR charm shine through!!! I'm pulling for you bro!

John
    Last edited by deaconjj; 11-05-2005 at 06:15 AM.
    John

John Jones Architect llc
    Westport, CT

(203) 227-9817 jjallc@optonline.net www.johnjonesaia.com
    X5 latest; Samsung series 7 Chronos touch, Quad Core, 8Gig Ram, AMD Radeon 8770m 1G, yada yada yada
    Blessed with 5 adorable children - Psalm 127!

Jason,

I think you're off to an excellent start.

The photo Michael Bailey posted would be considered High Victorian. Your design is a little calmer, so far - and would be more of a Mid Victorian. Personally, I think the nice proportioning on the house shows more with the calmer detailing on yours. I know you're going to add more detail, but I think the basics are there and it will be beautiful.

I'm not loving the different siding on the highest gable. It looks like natural shingles and really doesn't go.

I also like Christina's suggestion to go with a red door and different colors on the house. A red porch floor can also work.

The 6 over 1 is a little bit colonial looking - I'd be doing 2 over 1 on this house.

And, I can't wait to see it when you've finished the detailing.

Got a floor plan to show us? You do really nice floor plans.

W

It turns out I got work dumped on me today so I won't be able to show anything else right now, but thanks for the suggestions. Next time I get to the library I'll find some books on it.

1. Paint color - still not final. I want a 3- or 4-color job on this house. Like the red porch floor idea.
    2. Roof - I may go from 10:12 to 12:12 but I like the shape. This is a moderate Victorian house, I want about 2200-2500 square feet, something that's potentially buildable for more than just rich people. This house would look at home in West Chehalis.
    3. Stacked bays - that's a very strong possibility I may do that, rather than the bay I have stuck on there.
    4. Windows - I already changed the lowers to have the larger fixed sash larger and made the window taller to make the first floor appear taller. Upstairs they are now 9/1 and I think the downstairs are 12/1 or similar. Inside and out I'm also now using that Craftsman style head casing as I've seen it in Victorian homes in this area and big 7" base molding and shoe. Moldings right now are white inside, floors are dark wood, walls are probably a popcorn color, but that will change by room more than likely.
    5. Floor plan - The bay window is on the living room, behind that, the dining room. The front door leads to a two-story foyer and stairs. The back of the house is the kitchen and family room area, with a pantry area, and a small powder room off of the foyer. Upstairs the master is under the front gable, with it's closet and bath behind, and in the back two bedrooms, with their closets and bath with laundry.
    Jason McQueen