Rafters Showing through Ceiling

Hi

Does anybody know an easy way to stop the bottoms of rafters and trusses showing through ceilings like in the picture below?

TIA Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

lower the ceiling by the thickness of the drywall

But I don't want to lower the ceiling

And this is on a raked ceiling anyway - not so easy to lower the ceiling? I'll try that just to see what happens and it may be O.K. for raked ceilings but not really much good for flat ceilings.

TIA Paul

similar to this

sloped rafters are slightly more complicated than this but the idea is much the same.

Also it makes the cross section more complete

For the sloped ceiling some pre planning is required.

make the rafter depth thicker than the actual rafter by the thickness of the drywall.

then you select the rafters and reduce the depth of the rafters by the drywall thickness.

Dean

Thanks for your help. Using the lowered ceiling entry in the room spec dbx never occured to me. I'll try it out.

We shouldn't have to do all this rafter adjusting just to get ceiling thicknesses, should we? I usually work at 1/8in to the foot (1:100) so it is not a great issue for me. It must annoy people using 1/4in or higher or for details etc. because it becomes quite noticeable at these larger scales of course. Same with roof thicknesses or the lack thereof.

I thought this 'bleeding frame' problem may be caused by the fact there is no ceiling lining thickness allowed for in Chief. But unfortunately, from my experience, this may not necessarily be the case. I am also getting frames showing through walls where I have lining thicknesses either side of the frame. The bottoms of trusses show through ceilings also. Happens in 3D or section and rendering doesn't seem to help. And I am wondering if it is just me, or my computer, or this particular plan or group of plans?

It has happened on a main wall, stayed there for a while, then disappeared all by itself! The only example I have that has 'stuck' is on a low wall I used under a breakfast bar (see below)

Thanks in Advance

Paul

Paul

Even when you do all things possible by providing a space from the framing to the exposed surface, You can still get anomolies as you have shown.

shaking the camera by refresh or movement will sometimes remove the unwanted framing.

Make sure the framing is where it is supposed to be if shaking the camera does not work.

If you do not want the framing to show at all, then turn off all of the framing in the layer dialogue.

then there is view2CAD.......

as far as the rafter thickness issue, I find a manual framing is nearly as fast as doing it auto-matic and editing.
    this is even true for simple structures.

the more you understand what came in that box, the easier it is to think outside of that box, that is what makes this software so extremely powerful.

Last edited by Dean; 11-01-2005 at 03:46 PM.

"If you do not want the framing to show at all, then turn off all of the framing in the layer dialogue."
    I tried that. Turns off all the framing in cross section, defeating the purpose I had it there - to show up in cross section.

"then there is view2CAD......." I suppose it beats using that clunky edit layout tool. I wonder when ART is going to fix that?

"as far as the rafter thickness issue, I find a manual framing is nearly as fast as doing it auto-matic and editing.
    this is even true for simple structures."
    How does manual framing help with getting Chief to show the roofing thickness faster? You're saying you don't have to edit the position of the rafters when framing the roof manually?

I hope that wasn't a dumb question.

Paul

Re: similar to this

Originally posted by Dean
    sloped rafters are slightly more complicated than this but the idea is much the same.

Also it makes the cross section more complete
    And back to those ceiling heights and ceiling lining thicknesses for a moment....
    If an 8ft ceiling height is required with a 1/2in ceiling lining, I use an 8ft-1/2in ceiling height and use a lowered ceiling height of 8ft. The top plate is then at the correct height also.

So far, so good.

This means the ceiling height is really the plate height and the lowered ceiling height is the actual ceiling height.

A little confusing, but I can cope.....

The only problem is my floor defaults, for my template file, has only the ceiling height entry - no lowered ceiling entry. A pity. A real pity.

So this means if I raise the default ceiling height to 8ft-1/2in, I have to change each room separately - or use the select same tool.

Seems to be a bit of work, and something else to remember, just to get the correct ceiling thickness.

A lowered ceiling height entry in the floor defaults might be a very good start......please ART?

Paul

Good idea Paul. That's what I've been doing (except I have mine set at 97 1/8" and 96 5/8") and it would be better to have this set up in the Template Plan, allowing for the lowered ceiling. Please send to suggestions. Thanks!
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

How does manual framing help with getting Chief to show the roofing thickness faster?

make one rafter and copy it
    OR

multiple select the automatic rafters and change the depth

some pre setup is required but it can be done

for example I want 2 x 6 rafters and a 1/2" ceiling underneath:

I frame the roof with 6 1/8" rafters and then select the rafters and make the depth 5 1/2".

the roofing thickness can be changed by raising or lowering the roof after the framing is built.

this should also be taken into account before you start

experiment with a study plan to learn how to manipulate these things. It can get complex but it is not very hard to do

It is very useful to lock everything BUT the roof framing while doing multiple selects on your framing.

Dean

Thanks for the run down Dean. I can appreciate what you are saying.

Wouldn't it be much easier if ART just gave us the abilty to add these thicknesses before we start drawing - in the defaults for a template plan?

Chief seems so fast at building framing automatically. It seems a pity to start drawing things up manually. Mind you, trusses have to be drawn manually and I have nearly got used to that......

At least we can do the things you describe for now - if we really need them.

Paul

Originally posted by ambrozac
    Good idea Paul. That's what I've been doing (except I have mine set at 97 1/8" and 96 5/8") and it would be better to have this set up in the Template Plan, allowing for the lowered ceiling. Please send to suggestions. Thanks!
    You'll have to excuse my imperial figures if they are lacking, I'm fully metricised! I'll copy the request over to suggestions. Good idea. Thanks.

Paul

P.S.

Just thought I'd mention what I did to get rid of the framing that was showing through the walls in that original picture I posted. Quick and 'dirty' - deleted them with the Edit Layout tool.

Paul