notes - site / job safety ??

does anyone have a general site / job safety note or notes that they use on a set of plans. i'm thinking of including some general job safety info to include ladder, slips, extension cords, falls, etc. and was wondering if someone had something that they would share.

thanks in advance.
    tim

This might be a minority report, but trying to put a safety tips on a drawing set doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. I think its much like opening Pandora's box.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

plus from a legal standpoint you are now responsible

leave the job site stuff to the contractor

If you do add Job Site Notes ... Don't forget "Do not spill hot coffee on lap." Or you might be liable.

My suggestion: Leave the job site notes off the plan sets. There is too much to miss.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

I would agree that, for most projects, you don't want to start listing "specific" safety requirements. If you miss something you risk a claim for additional cost if you include something that is not required you may add unnecessary cost to the owner. Having said that, It does not hurt to include a general note that indicates that it is the contractor's responsibility to provide what is required. In fact, I think it is a good idea.

Something like: (not shouting just a copy/paste)

CONTRACTOR SHALL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR CONFORMANCE WITH ALL SAFETY REQUIREMENTS, PROVIDE BARRIERS AND TEMPORARY ENCLOSURES AS REQUIRED. CONSTRUCTION SITE SHALL BE MAINTAINED IN A CLEAN AND ORDERLY CONDITION. KEEP DRIVEWAYS AND ENTRANCES CLEAR. PARKING AND STORAGE SHALL BE AS DIRECTED BY THE OWNER. PROTECT ALL WORK AND STORED MATERIALS FROM DAMAGE.

This particular note was for a small commercial project. In this case the owner wanted to direct where materials could be stored. What you do could vary for each job, what form of contract is used for construction and who is building for who. Not much point in adding this type of note if your plans are for a contractor building a spec.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

If we start adding these types of notes to plans, I can see a time where we would need to add:

Nails: Pointed end down
    Trees: Green side up

Just kidding of course...

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Nails: Pointed end down

What if I'm nailing strapping/ferring?
    Allen Colburn

See there you go, Wide open to liability issues. I did not even think that someone could be nailing something to a ceiling ... Bammo - Lawsuit.

Point proven.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

ole and sven are building a barn

after a while sven notices ole is throwing half his nails away

he says to ole, "vy are you trowing dem nails avay"

ole replies, "the points are on da wrong end"

"you idiot ole," says sven, "dey are for da udder side of da barn"

There is just too much going through my head now.
    "I didn't know you were that old"
    "Keep your day job"
    Hurry up and deleete it before any one else reads it..
    An oldie but a goodie...lol
    Allen Colburn

thanks for the input (and the laughs).......... i was thinking more along the lines of Larry's comment.

OSHA has been very active in the residential construction area here lately (much to the dismay of local contractors), and i was thinking just to try to raise the "safety awareness" of sub-contractors

from the OSHA WEBSITE (www.osha.gov) : "the four leading causes of death that make up 90% of all construction fatalities (falls from elevations - 33%; struck by - 22%; caught in/between - 18%; electrical shock - 17%)

The leading hazards are:
    falls from elevations (e.g., floors, platforms, roofs)
    struck by (e.g., falling objects, vehicles)
    caught in/between (e.g., cave-ins, unguarded machinery, equipment)
    electrical shock (e.g., overhead power lines, power tools and cords, outlets, temporary wiring) "