Thread: paper type

paper type

Does anybody know what weight and type paper is used for blue prints. I currently use 24# uncoated bond and am seeing cracking on well used prints. While well used blue prints I have seem to just get softer instead of cracking.

Thanks, Hans

I use 20lb bond in 36" x 150' rolls thyat I get for about $11.00/roll from:

http://www.dswebengine.com/jgproducts/default.asp

I also print an additional 5 plan sets on 11x17 paper for the builder and some of his folks to carry around in their trucks, and because they are easier to manage on a windy day. I also e-mail them the PDF file of the plan so they can print pages for whoever needs them.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

I have found that the opaque bond papers does not age very well. The lighter translucent bonds can tare fairly easily but do not have the aging problem. If you use your printer as a copy machine then you don't want to go to the more expensive vellums that are available...unless cost is no object.

I realize that many commercial printers use large production printers to make multiple sets of prints but do you have a true production level printer? In other words, can you make one set and let the contractor got to a local printer for the prints he needs? I know one contractor that laminates one set for the job site. In that case the quality of the paper is not an issue.

Just something to think about.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Originally posted by Larry Kumpost
    I realize that many commercial printers use large production printers to make multiple sets of prints but do you have a true production level printer? In other words, can you make one set and let the contractor got to a local printer for the prints he needs?
    Not a bad idea, but check the cost per sheet at the local print shop first. Our local print shop here in Carlisle charges $3.00/sheet to make black and white copies of 24x36 sheets. That adds up quick if you have a lot of sheets in a plan set.

I know in California, with all the notes and title 24 stuff, 30 sheets for a single house isn't unusual, here it runs 12 to 20 sheets depending on the complexity of the house and the township its being built in.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Hi Fitch:

Yes. Local conditions do tend to limit options.

We still have the relatively inexpensive diazo (ammonia) printing available. That seems to be going the way of the Dodo Bird. I suspect that this type of printing will only last as long as the printers current equipment does.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Printing

Here is a thought for you-

We purchased a HP 4000ps @ $11,100. It prints a "D" size sheet in 45 sec. We use a 24 lb. paper and have figured our cost with ink @ $.45 a sheet (36" x 300' roll). We do all the prints for our clients @ $1.30 a sheet. Most clients get 15 sets and an average of 10 sheets per set. We net $.85 per sheet x 10 = $8.50 a set x 15 sets = $127.50 a house. $11,100 / $127.50 = 87 houses and the plotter is paid for.
    There is some time envolved in binding but when your printing one it's not that much more to just fire out the rest. We do alot of printing so for us it makes sense.
    We did the same trick with our older HP 1050c plus & HP1055ps

The paper we use is water-resistant and has a very light blue tinge to it. Our builders love it plus the plans are in color.

Darren

re:paper type

Sorry I guess I left out that I have a designjet 500, and am pleased with it. If I can only find a good quality paper.

Darren, you said you use a water resistant paper? could I ask what brand and type it is. I also do my prints in color.

Thanks Hans

Paper

Oc'e 86-1024 Inkjet color bond . That's for a 36" x 300' roll @ 24 lb. Don't know the # on the 24" wide. It's great paper at a good price. We pay $32 roll.

Darren