Bug

Well for those that have followed my little problem of the computer freezing up when in electrical and moving a light fixture around i found the problem and think i have discovered my first bug. When the aerial view is open on my second monitor 20" Dell LCD and i am using it and then try to move an existing electrical light around on my first primary monitor 24" Dell LCD, then the program freezes up. no error or assertion notice or anything like that it just freezes up the screen. when we turned off the aerial view on the second monitor the program worked just great. it stopped freezing up. i never used the aerial tool very much till i got the 24" Dell monitor and started using the 20" as the second screen so i had room for the areial and the library on the second monitor and really started appreciating the aerial tool a lot. Well guess what. moving electrical around will freeze up the program at least it did to me with all the same circumstances like i described above. You can delecte it or you can put it in but when you hit the light fixture on the drawing it will freeze up the program if you try to move it.. thanks Rod

I can confirm this...it is related to the connections...if you delete
    the connect from the light to the switch it doesn't do this ...report it
    directly to ART at support for it to get on their list of fixes

I find it quicker to draw electrical connect lines on another layer in CAD mode. You can then use arc, line, and splines. The only thing you loose is the little 3 by the three way switches. All sparkies know how to wire switches
    John
    V X1-....

John,

I do that sometimes. Didn't realize that it doesn't show the 3 on 3way switches though. If you draw your electrical lines in cad mode, you then have the capability of changing the line weight for printing too easily and fast when needed. Chief doesn't have a layer readily for that.

Tommy

if you're connecting in cad mode, as I do, you can always add a 3 way symbol.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Re: Bug

Originally posted by Rod Brown
    Well for those that have followed my little problem of the computer freezing up when in electrical and moving a light fixture around i found the problem and think i have discovered my first bug. When the aerial view is open on my second monitor 20" Dell LCD and i am using it and then try to move an existing electrical light around on my first primary monitor 24" Dell LCD, then the program freezes up. no error or assertion notice or anything like that it just freezes up the screen.
    Thankyouverymuch! I've been having that problem, posted it here, sent it in a couple of times - Dermot has looked at it himself both times, but it couldn't be duplicated. I knew it wouldn't do it unless there was a "connection" line drawn to it, but never connected with the idea that it needed both a connection and the aerial view window. I can duplicate it here.

Well done!

Now they should be able to find it and fix it in the next patch.

Fitchy
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

The key is that the aerial view window has to be open at the same time! I would have never guessed.

Thank you for finaly finding the missing piece in this puzzle. I had spent quite a bit of time looking for this problem only to give up in frustration. I never thought to ask about what other windows might be open because, in theory and in past experience, they should not have made a difference.

We should be able to find the problem now and we will try to get a fix into the next update.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com