Chief's Clipboard

Seems like when I Ctrl-C something (copy to clipboard) it works fine if I paste right away (without any intervening steps). But if I do just about anything in between the copy and the paste, Chief clears the clipboard and paste is unavailable.

Most programs, once you have something in the clipboard, it's there until you replace it with something else. Or if you shut down the program. So you can paste to your heart's content no matter how many other things you do in the meantime.

Maybe this should be in the Suggestions forum under "Make object stay in the clipboard" or something.

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design
    Chief Architect v. 10.08a...X1 will have to wait.

I nominate you to put it there.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Hmm.. . I just copied a piece of furniture, then drew a slab, went to CAD and drew a line, and it still pasted after that. I then did some text, it still pasted... I haven't investigated farther than that. But I think I remember it being like you say in the past...???

I'm using 10.06a.

Christina

I noticed this happens when switching to camera views and then deleting the camera view, but if you use the "Swap View", I believe it keeps the paste or at least most of the time.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

I think you jinxed me Christina. Can't reproduce it now. But just before I posted I had it happen twice...so I don't think I'm halucinating....

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design

i always have that problem when copying and pasting from one layout page to another . i use the copy paste icon and when i go to paste on the next page a box shows but the tool doesnt work . I have to go to edit/paste....really annoying
    OPIE AND ANTHONY ON XM 202 SPREAD THE VIRUS!!!!

Originally posted by Chiefdoggydogg
    i always have that problem when copying and pasting from one layout page to another . i use the copy paste icon and when i go to paste on the next page a box shows but the tool doesnt work . I have to go to edit/paste....really annoying
    use the standard windows keystroke to reactive the paste command...Ctrl+V

Shouldn't we be able to continue pasting the same item more than once, instead of going back to the copy/paste button each time?
    Gordon B.
    CA 10.08

Okay, I found out how to reproduce it (finally!)

1. Copy something (Ctrl-C)
    2. Paste it somewhere (Ctrl-V)
    3. Delete something, anything at all (doesn't have to be the original or the copy)
    4. Now press Ctrl-V again.

Nothing!

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design

I have noticed the same thing on my set up about copying from one layout to another. Its takes longer becasue the copy icon goes away and you do have to go to edit paste etc. a little time consuming!! I thought it was sometning i was doing wrong.

Thanks for figuring that out. I could never understand when the clipboard would be cleared. Now let's find out why. My guess is that Chief doesn't want to use unnecessary memory for large objects.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

A related issue to this copy/paste problem. I was in Layout where I wanted to paste a title and some misc. text on the next four pages in the same place. The paste works one time with the little square icon to show where to do a paste in place (side note, I hate the impreciseness of this method - its so close and yet so far...) but only one time. I can still paste on the following page by using Ctrl V, but I won't get that little icon to show where to do it in place. I find this really annoying...

Christina

Shouldn't we be able to continue pasting the same item more than once, instead of going back to the copy/paste button each time?
    Single clicking the copy and paste icon= 1 paste. Double clicking the copy and paste icon= multiple items
    Last edited by louis; 11-01-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Yeah, I agree. The only half-way decent workaround I've found is to put a construction line (just a typical CAD line that's used as a guide) on page 0 and then use one end of it as a snap point...then delete it when you're done.

But I agree about the temporary guide (although I almost think it's a bug and not a feature...we all use it as a feature but I'm not sure the program was meant to work that way!)

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design

Originally posted by louis
    Single clicking the copy and paste icon= 1 paste. Double clicking the copy and paste icon= multiple items
    That doesn't have anything to do with this, Louis. The issue is with the box that shows up when you change pages (that you can use as a guide to paste subsequent items in the same relative spot on the next pages).

-jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design