Wireless printer connection

Does anybody use a wireless connection to their printer? If so, what suggestions would you make?
    Thanks,
    Cameron

I'm trying to,but no luck so far.

I have a netgear printer server connected to my wireless router but wired desktop can't see it all nor my Linksys Network storage unit with two HD's attached.

I have tried Netmagic and Singleclick software which is suppose to make networks easy but they just don't cut it yet.

I have the network up and running, wired and wireless but each stage of this is extremely frustrating. I'm going to pay a techie to do it as I find I have more money than time or inclination.

I also tried setting up bluetooth and ran into all kinds of hassles there too.

someday someone will make this easy. I find this extremely frustating as I have owned micros since 1978 and am a programmer by profession and find this network crap way beyond my interest level to learn or comprehend. Way too many settings in way too many dbx's.

There should be one dbx (with tabs) and all (most) of the choices should be yes/no.

Sorry just had to vent about this.

To answer some of your question, you should plan on using a printer server, some routers have this built-in, otherwise whichever PC the printer is connected to has to be on and on-line to be able to use the printer. With a printer server as long as the network is up and working the printer is available to any PC that is part of the network.

Bluetooth is suppose to be nice for this as long as PC is within 33 ft of the printer (tho I have heard of range extenders).

compusa has a Netgear print server on sale for $9.99 after rebate. A few weeks ago I paid $29.95 for it. I think I'll get another one so I can have two printers for the tech to setup

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Thanks, Lew,
    I guess it sounds like it's something I can't do myself.
    Cameron

Maybe yes, maybe no.

I had the print server online for a few moments and it wanted to do a test page, I said yes and nothing happens and now printer server can't be found. ARRRRGH !!!!

I just spent 2 hours with Linksys tech trying to setup Network storage unit, what a PITA.

Not sure we got it after doing all kinds of config.
    Two new HD's - 300GB and 250GB and they can't be formatted by NAS unit.

Tried connecting to PC directly and they can't be seen by the PC or by Partition Magic.

I am ready to become a Luddite

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Re: Wireless printer connection

Originally posted by wctucker
    Does anybody use a wireless connection to their printer? If so, what suggestions would you make?
    Cameron,

I use a Linksys wireless print server for my HP 13x19 printer. I bought the print server several months ago when I had a NetGear router. I had lots of connectivity issues which I finally solved by giving the print server a static IP address. The Netgear router didn't play nice with the DSL modem either so I just replaced it with a Linksys router. The print server works great now! Linksys had great tech support that got me up and running in less than an hour. I think you could get the Linksys router and print server for about $125-$150 total, I got mine at Bestbuy with rebates.

Good luck,
    Chris

I have a Linksys print server, but back when I got it, it didn't support multi-funcition printers, but they may now. I also have a printer with wireless built in. Works much better that way. Even with all of this, most of my networked printers and connections are still wired as they are more reliable and much faster. Wireless is getting better quickly though.

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook