Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Apron Front Sink

Just did a search and only came up with one entry on apron front sinks as an aside to a sink discussion about sinks spanning multiple cabinets. For some reason, the apron front sink symbol does not "insert" into a base cabinet the way all the other sinks do. I know I can jerry-rig something with a shorter base cabinet or false fronts, etc, but just wanting to know if anyone has any tips for using an apron front sink. The custom hole in counter won't work for it either since the hole must be enclosed within the custom counter, but for apron front, it needs to be more of a cut-out than a hole since we don't want counter overhang coming through the front of the sink...and if I use a short cabinet to go under the sink, the backsplash needs to be tweaked, etc...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Christina

I could have sworn I've used an apron-front that inserts in a cabinet but when I looked I couldn't find it.

I'd do as you suggest if the hole in countertop doesn't work. The only reason I mention hole in countertop is because you might be able to get away with it. The hole should only have to be as big as the bowl (rather than the whole sink) so the sink doesn't look filled with tiles.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

The hole idea doesn't work because the apron front sink needs to show completely in the front of the cabinet and if I just did I hole, a thin strip of the counter shows in the front of the apron sink. I even tried the idea of making the counter "0" overhang but it still didn't work.

Hummm. This is interesting. I have used the apron sink in 9.5 and it worked just fine. I just tried it in 10 and it don't work at all. Just sits on top of the counter. Would have to stand on stool to use it. A bug, maybe???? DH

Now that I have slept on this, it occurs to me that since the apron sink in 10 seems to me to be a bug, I would set an apron sink in 9 (assuming you have the Kitchen & Bath content CD) and then transfer to the library in 10.

It does not cut a hole as a counter hole needs to be fully contained within the counter...

just put it on its own shorter cabinet ...you can block this and add it to your archirtectural blocks for later use in other plans... like this
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:19 AM.

I've successfully done what Tim described, but when spanning multiple cabinets I'm stumped.
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

... and anyone who wants to do it the hard way. 0 out the Countertop thickness to remove it. Place the fixture, open it's symbol and specify the origin. Will have to lower the height and move forward. Manually draw the countertop, adjust your cabinet doors. Tim's way is by far quicker. This only gives another way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

As an edit to above. I couldn't remember what I had done when I went to duplicate it. So...You need to leave your regular countertop (don't 0) and make it transparent, draw the new countertop to the shape of the sink on top of the existing top. This way, you'll have your backsplash. Still, you'll need to manipulate your symbol and cabinet to fit.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Thanks for the suggestions. I was starting to do it the way Tim suggested, but the sink doesn't go all the way to the back so I had to futz with getting some countertop behind the sink, plus deal with the backspash...so I thought before I continued I'd see if there were any other easier ways.

Christina

I still think this is a possible bug. I can't believe one has to go through all this trouble to set this sink. In 9.5 it sets perfectly with the countertop behind the sink like it should be and without any manual adjustments. It doesn't make sence that 10 would change something that works so simple and make it worse..... but then what do I know.

I'll stick a note in Suggestions that they make the apron sink work as we expect all the other sinks to work - just "plop" it in...

Christina

It was just as easy to do this as to write and complain about it:

I fixed the sinks in v10 to work like they did in v9.x...

i posted a zip of the two apron front sinks here, inzip them into your library folder for v10:
    http://216.18.154.18/chieftalk/showt...threadid=14855

Thanks Tim. I thought it might have something to do with placing a Countertop hole in the Cad Block. I did that, but was placing too close to the edge I guess. Thanks for the symbols and I was finally able to duplicate after exploding your Cad Block and seeing what I was doing wrong.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e

Thanks for the symbols Tim. I know getting an apron front sink "auto" is a very low, low priority kind of complaint, but ART has encouraged us to stick suggestions in the Suggestions Forum where it's easier for them to find it than in this forum. This sink doesn't place as expected, so they should know... if they don't already.