Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Multifamily Residence

Hey, I do not have an IRC (International Residential Code) handbook handy, and I was wondering if it state the minimum distance an exterior opening i.e. windows and doors should be from the fire wall?

If anyone happen to know the answer and knows where to refernce it please lend a helping hand.

Thanks

I don't have the time to look this up for you but I believe in every code I have used, as long as the window is perpendicular to the fire wall there is no required distance from the fire wall. As long as the window faces a street, yard or dedicated open space that meets the setback requitrements for openings it does not need to be rated . That is why you can have sotrefront glass wall to wall in commercial districts.

You can check this yourself. You can access the code on the internet. I don't have the address bookmarked but a search should make it easy to find.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Thanks, I will take the time tonight to look it up. I tried the easy way out. Thanks alot I really appreciate the the response.

If the IRC is online, I would like to find a link. I have only been able to find sites to purchase the code.

Anyone got it bookmarked?

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

Originally posted by zoome
    If the IRC is online, I would like to find a link. I have only been able to find sites to purchase the code.

Anyone got it bookmarked?

Zoome
    I was at a site that had it earlier this year but can't seem to find it now.

I did a search here (Chieftalk) and from reading some other threads it may no longer be available on-line for free.

I don't have the IRC or IBC loaded on my new computer yet or I would take a quick look.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

I did get the chance to look it up and I was with no luck. Can anyone remeber a link to any codes?

Thanx

I don't think the IRC is online for free.

I do not think it is available online for free.

Zoome
    Dan Stauffer
    440.221.4281 Mobile

Victor Residential Design and Marketing
    Victor Web Design
    dws@twinsburg.com

Chief Ver 10.08a, X1
    Do I need X2?

The IRC is free if you go www.boaf.net

This is here in Florida and the Florida building code is on line. It does not differ from the IRC except for wind loading.

minnesota also has the code with minnesota changes free...probably most states do

RGWhite:

I don't see the free building codes ?

I see where they can be ordered and I see an outline of the codes but not the codes ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Try this Lew: From the BOAF site you can go to the Florida Building code. I like the BOAF site because it give you a non- binding interpertation of the code when when the info is not clear and you can post questions to them.

www.floridabuilding.org/

click on "view the Florida Building Code"

Yep, that's where I went before.

It seemed to be just an outline of the code, not the actual code.

I finally figured out that clicking on the code didn't do it but entering the code id into the search did bring up the code for that id #.

Thanks

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I am sure there are better answers available, i quit doing International Building Code work (IBC) this year becaause it is just too confusing for my pea brain, but heres my shot at your question

I have the ibc, it classifies your building as an R-2, I am thinking you are basically designing an apartment building from your description, I would advise you to get the code work done on paper before doing any design work, theres quite a bit to these now, like what is you construction type 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 you need to know this amoung other things...

as for your actual question

"and I was wondering if it state the minimum distance an exterior opening i.e. windows and doors should be from the fire wall?"

an opening can be included in a firewall, it just has to be rated for that wall, it does not have to be "so far away from" were you wondering about how close to the property line you couyld be

take this with caution. like I said, i am not working in this capacity anymore so if you are indeed getting into apartment type multi-family, try and order a copy of the ibc....

sorry if this doesn't make any sense

see if this link works, it may be a place to get this figured out..

www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi