Thread: Bar joist

Hybrid View

Bar joist

I am drawing the interior finishes for a condo, so there are not any foundation or roof details. The building is all concrete, so the "ceiling" that is currently visible is the underside of the floor above, and is essentially just a smooth concrete slab.

Client wants it to look somewhat industrial, so i was going to propose adding open-web bar joists to enhance the look. Is that an element that CA an draw for me? I am using 9.5 base with the enhanced library package.

I clicked on the framing tools, and selected the floor/roof truss (the flat one), but it apparently is under the floor somewhere.

I believe for it to have a web, it needs to be at least somewhere around 16" tall. You might have to be in 3D framing layer set to see it. Adjust the height of beam. It's been a while since I used that tool.

Tommy

Well, I'm having trouble making irt work now. Forgot how I did it in the past.

Tommy

If you don't have a 3D OtherCAD program, you could open a new plan and model it with a combination of polyline solids and molding polylines. I would use a 3D molding polyline for the web.

When you are done, open a 3D view, export a 3D dwg file ant use that to create a symbol.
    Larry

Lawrence C. Kumpost, Architect

No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be
    stationery.

Larry,

He has 9.5 Base version.

Originally posted by louis
    Larry,

He has 9.5 Base version.
    Ooops! Missed that part.
    Larry

stationery.

"He has 9.5 base"

Now that sounds ominous. Like I have the plague or something worse, like toilet paper stuck to my shoe.

Wanna let me in on the secret?

Originally posted by elCid72
    "He has 9.5 base"

Now that sounds ominous. Like I have the plague or something worse, like toilet paper stuck to my shoe.

Wanna let me in on the secret?
    Nothing like that. My suggestion was based on version 10 Full. I missed the part where you said you were using version 9.5 base.
    Larry

stationery.

Ed,

Is this the look you're looking for? It has a concrete ceiling with steel trusses. No symbols involved. I used floor/ceiling truss tool. You can show this look in a render with Chief.

Tommy
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to let the Doctor be the first to tell you but since you asked. "You have toilet paper stuck to your shoe"

as tommy has posted you can do it with the floor truss tool...you can even change the thickness and width of the webbing, thickness and width of the top and bottom chords as well for them in the truss dbx prior to copying them across

http://216.18.154.18/chieftalk/showt...&threadid=4699

http://216.18.154.18/chieftalk/showt...&threadid=6074

Tjhanks Tommy and Tim. That's essentially what I wanted to do. I like Tim's joists better, but for my purposes both are suitable.

Ok, treat me like a dumb blonde.

I was able to place one truss on the plan, and I can open it to change materials etc. But it won't show in an elevation/cross section. It does show in a render framing view.

Exactly what steps do I follow to get it to look like Tim's trusses? I don't mean making all the copies, just the height and material definitions.