Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Swimming hole

I sent a mailer to the biggest Champion/Skyline dealership in this part of the state and got no response whatsoever.

We have Fuqua out here too, although the biggest sellers are Champion and Palm Harbor. I haven't seen a new one in years but about 10 years ago the Palm Harbors were the best as far as I could tell. They'd ALL have a better product if they'd **** it up and hire some decent builders instead of paying almost nothing and hoping they spend half their checks on speed.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

A Time for reflection

Take a look at this picture, it shows a polished steel cylinder object (set reflectivity high for raytracing) the woman is a symbol, and the bush is an image, the result is much as you would expect from a cylindrical mirror, both objects are narrowed in reflection, the woman is mirror-imaged and the hidden side of her face is visible in the reflection, the bush is another matter, as an image and you are seeing the front of the image, although I think this is difficult to notice. The shadows show correctly, in short its not a bad raytrace.

I thought I would go back to My original "swimming hole" file, this time I put a high value of reflectivity on the waters surface,

you should notice two sets of reflections, on both the leading and trailing edges of the waves, Its a bit stange I think, for these two sets of water surfaces seem to be acting as strait surfaces, and unfortunately not too realistic

The next image shows, the 3d model of the water I used in the swimming hole scene, before I imported it as a symbol. The "waves" can be seen to be a nice sinusoidal, shape, after import the waves are reduced in height, otherwise the swell would be too extreme

Anyone care to comment on this problem.
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

I think if the ripples were smaller they'd look better.
    Jason McQueen

rendering

here's a small one like jason does, the ones i've seen

they look pretty good

harry
    Last edited by HARRYBSTANFIELDJR; 07-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    HARRY B STANFIELD JR
    101 alvin st.
    walterboro,sc 29488
    S&B REMODELING
    843-549-2674
    843-908-1143--MOBILE
    harrythebuilder@yahoo.com
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b335/HARRYBSTANFIELDJR/
    VER: 10.08A

another house

here's another one,,

i would like to know some company's down in s.c. to talk with about doing some drawing. any help would be great.

HARRY
    Last edited by HARRYBSTANFIELDJR; 07-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    HARRY B STANFIELD JR
    101 alvin st.
    walterboro,sc 29488
    S&B REMODELING
    843-549-2674
    843-908-1143--MOBILE

Like I do, little houses like these?

Jason McQueen

LITTLE HOUSES

JASON, I JUST LOVE THOSE HOUSES, IT TAKES A LOT MORE TO DO THAT . THAN SOME THING BIG. GIVE IT TO YOU.

HARRY
    HARRY B STANFIELD JR
    101 alvin st.
    walterboro,sc 29488
    S&B REMODELING
    843-549-2674
    843-908-1143--MOBILE

Meantime back at the Swimming Hole

Tried a new method, taking up on Jasons idea of using smaller wavelets I generated a new symbol from terrain, this time I ran closely spaced elevation lines across the surface, and then another series at an angle to these. The generated terrain now had a “grid” of hillocks, which would serve as my wavelets or ripples. Only problem was the symbol created was much too large to import into Chief, and I had to apply drastic polygon reduction, the result is more “chipy” than wavy, I think its acceptable, but we are getting near the limit of Chief & today’s computers capabilities; This raytrace took a rather a long time, perhaps its time to look at other ways of making water.

Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

ArchiJef--just wondering, why not use a bumpmap?

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design
    Chief Architect v. 10.08a...X1 will have to wait.

Sound good, but this is not my area of expertise, so please tell me what you know,
    thanks Archijef

I'm no expert but I've used them before. They work pretty well!

Place a slab at the height of your water (this isn't necessary but just the way I do it) so you have a flat plane to work on. Assign it a water texture, like Water5.

Go to the Plan Materials dbx (Shift-C) and Edit that material. Go to the Raytrace tab. (see the screenshot). Check Use Bump Map and choose a bump map such as this one:

C:\Program Files\ART Inc\Chief Architect 10.0 Full Version\Textures\Landscaping\Water\Bumpmaps\Water1 (60) Bump.jpg

Click Okay and do your raytrace. I'll post an example next.

Note: this will only work with raytracing. Renders will only show the flat slab.

- jamon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design

After trying it a few times I actually removed the water texture and just did a blue color. That seemed to look better.

I also had to play with the bump map height and reflectivity to get it to look more correct. This may or may not be what you're looking for but it's another option anyway!

- jamon
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design

Louis,

That's way too cool!! I asked a while back if this could be done with a chief picture. Excellent!

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 10-28-2005 at 04:51 AM.

Originally posted by louis
    Jeff,

How about this
    http://www.lfcompany.com/louis/chief..._%20Ripple.swf
    Looks just like my pool did after a Richter 4.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.