Thread: Faq site

Faq site

HI.. saw a very interesting suggestion and resulting comments by Lew Buttery in the chat room site.. about us newbies using the Help Dialogue site... etc...I felt this was something that could goto Q and A for wider suggestions..
    I m glad he introduced the idea of a new or seperate site for the various questions that only newbies can generate..
    One problem I have had.. ( I 'm running 10.6a by the way) in searching the help dialogue is a lot of it is not for v10.. and thus it seems that the suggestions for earlier versions may have different solutions than the updated and newest version...
    I can imagine the rather humdrum feeling that the more experienced users feel when they see a lot of basic questions to sort thru when they are looking for more indepth stuff..
    Still on the other hand the wide variety of items that come into the Q and A benefits us all..
    soo.. to make it brief.. can a v 10 faq site only be set up for help that has current answers??? and more newbie stuff like Lew suggested??
    I do appreciete very much the comraderie among ya'll in the Q and A site .. its a very very good place to keep up with the latest and see problem resolutions..
    and thanks, Lew for the suggestion..

thanks all.. Randy

Good suggestions Randy. I agree with Lew, a FAQ site would be helpful. Chief already has a good help section on their site; we would need to definitively suggest the format for a FAQ site. And Randy: welcome!
    Adam Gibson, CKD, CBD
    Indianapolis, IN, USA
    Chief X6

Randy,

Many people use this program for different purposes. Some for renders and some for doing plans. In my opinion, very different. To make a render look like what you want, sometimes you have to do work arounds and think outside the box. When I do a plan for permitting let's say, it generally takes me less time if I don't have to show renders because you're working with bascially 2d. You just need to show it in a plan view and need to have cad details in short. However, showing it in 3D can be more time consuming because everything has to be just right. And then you have the texture and lighting thing to deal with.

With that said, if you have a basic question, then yes, I would try a search and look in "help" first. Then post a question here. What may be basic to some, is not to others. It really depends on what you use the most.

Just check out Louis's poll on "I need help". You'll see that many of us, need help in all aspects of this program. I would not hesitate to ask a question. Thank God we have people like Louis, Tim O, David P, Dermot and others to help us out on the technical side.

Welcome to the forum.

Tommy

I appreciate your replys very much and also your kind words of welcome.. thanks...
    I fully agree with both of your suggestions . Indeed, the dedication of folks like Louis, David, etc is something that really allows us to keep moving forwards, and it benefits all of us.
    The help sections are very good.. I agree.. its just the stuff that seems to fall thru the cracks and drives you nuts at times.. but thats what experience is for.. ( and also daily reading of Chieftalk)..
    The CA is amazing.. and the more I get into it the more I appreciate it and also the strong sense of community that
    developes from participating in the Chieftalk and other forums
    again thanks ...
    Randy