Question for Louis

Louis - 1. I drew a door with pline solids
    2. I exported it making sure all pieces were different colors
    3. I used the create symbol tool, assigning the different parts wood grain and placed it in my current drawing. It looks OK.
    4. When I opened a new drawing, placed a cabinet and replaced the door from my library I got this, the door didn't have the wood grain I assigned it only the colors.
    Do you have a suggestions? - Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tom Hinz
    Blue Lake, California
    tlhinz@gmail.com

Tom,

Send me that door please.

You have to re assign the materials ( woodgrains ) in the new plan.

Originally posted by jglanton
    You have to re assign the materials ( woodgrains ) in the new plan.
    this is correct, once you have done this, then save it to your library and the materials will be saved with the symbol

when creating symbols as you did, don't get hung up on the final, desired materials during that stage...you only need to assign different materials to the parts that you want to be able to assign different materials too in the final symbol (i simply take them as they come in the material list when creating symbols, because it is fastest)

the difference of materials will ensure that part is assigned to a different layer during the export/import process...if you have checked the box to save the symbol during the creation process, simply right click on its name in the tree listing of the library window, select open from the menu, go to the material tab and set you materials there...you can also rename the parts as you do so...so they reflect the part the material is assigned to, just click on it, wait a second, then click it again, then rename