Copying objects in elevation

Is there a way to copy symbols in elevation view? I have built-in bookshelves I would love to populate with the books symbol from the library. It seems I have to copy the symbol in plan view, then either I have to know the height of the bookshelves to move the item up or down to the next shelf with the move command, or I switch to elevation view and drag it up or down.

I'd love to be able to just copy and paste in elevation view and have Chief know to hold the placement in plan view while allowing me to paste it anywhere in the plane of the elevation, like you can with a window symbol in a wall.

Once I get a shelf worth, I sometimes group and copy them, but I vary the colors and heights to make it more real so I can't just do a copy 5 over and 4 high kind of array. I really want to just click on one, paste it wherever it looks good. Click on another one, paste it wherever... in elevation view. (I can sometimes do this in a camera view, but the pasting is very erratic and the plane of the books changes too much - it really needs to be elevation view for preciseness)

Am I missing something, or should I add this to the suggestions...

(BTW, I know there is a texture that shows books and another for CDs, but that doesn't work in this case).

Thanks,
    Christina

to make copies in any camera view and have them stay in the shelf, select it, click copy, then grab the move handle of the selected set (this makes a copy right where the original is) move it sideways or up/down when you do this to move the copy away from the original...you can also shift select them ...this also works for cabinets, windows, doors, etc...

I know you can copy and drag custom pline solids in elevation, I make exposed gable beams this way all the time.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

That worked, Tim. Thanks! That's a big help. One more question, though - it seems I can only drag the copy horizontal or vertical - I can't drag the copy away at an angle - even with all various "snaps" turned off. Am I missing something there?

Christina

gmohr is offline Registered User Promoted
    Try holding down Ctrl while dragging, then you should be able to drag in any direction.

Grant

Holding control (which I use all the time for other things) doesn't work in elev or camera views - movement is constricted to horiz and vert directions only when I'm moving a copy.

Christina

Christina,

I would have to do it like I mentioned in a post earlier today:

"Place the object in plan view outside the cabinet.
    In the dbx for the object, raise it so that the height is correct.
    In plan mode, use control/drag to place the object in the cabinet.
    In camera view, center or place object how you want it to look.
    Done."

However, I think you can move them sideways in elevation instead of camera view.

Once you have an item in place on the shelf, you can copy/paste a many as you want on that shelf...or replicate I think.

You know to a degree, you can take a side camera view and move an object foward and back.

Tommy

Originally posted by cgirerd
    Holding control (which I use all the time for other things) doesn't work in elev or camera views - movement is constricted to horiz and vert directions only when I'm moving a copy.

Christina

one direction at a time in camera views