walk through playback

I've just tried making a walk through of a simple interior space. I've experimented with frames per second, compression and degrees of turn. Every time when I play it back on either Real Player or Windows Media Player, the movement some of the time seems to move in horizontal segments. Like slices of the image move independently then reassemble.

I've read several posts with complaints about jerkiness but thought that just meant everything moved at once. Is this normal or maybe something not up to speed in my computer?

using 10.06a

Thanks,
    Liz

Liz,

Describe your computer and the camera settings you used please.

DJP

David Jefferson Potter

Chief Architect ® Trainer, Beta Tester, Draftsman, Author of "Basic Manual Roof Editing" and Problem Solver
    Win7 Ultimate x64 & XP Pro x32, 500 Gb Samsung SSD
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, PNY 760 GTX

Chief 7-X6, Home Designer versions 7-2014
    3101 Shoreline Drive #2118, Austin, Texas 78728-4446
    Office Phone:512-518-3161
    Main E mail: david@djpdesigns.net
    Web Site:http://djpdesigns.net
    My You Tube Channel
    Help is just an e mail or call away!

ive found that once the walkthrough is played once in media player it performs much better after it is cached. Play it a second time and it kinda smooths out.
    OPIE AND ANTHONY ON XM 202 SPREAD THE VIRUS!!!!

My computer is a Dell Dimension, pentium 3, 1 gig processor, 512 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 4000 video card. (Yes, I know it's time to upgrade but it works fine for most stuff)

I have tried camera move down to 1' and turning down to 1 degree.

The effect is worse for any turning motion than it is for straight line. Smaller increments make the segments not get as far ahead of each other.

Playing it again doesn't seem to make a difference.
    Liz

Just realized that this is in Suggestion forum instead of General. Don't know how I did that. Maybe because I had done a search first and didn't realize which forum I was in when I hit "new". Sorry.

Is there any way to send it to the right forum?
    Liz

The only way that I know of to improve the "jerkiness" of a recorded AVI is to make smaller steps when recording it. The degrees each rotate can be set down to 1 degree and the inches each step can be set down to 1". Now everytime you move the camera forward or turn sideways it should move a much smaller amount. Moving smaller amounts will allow you to record more frames with smaller differences between them.

BTW, I moved the thread for you.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Thanks for moving the thread Dermont.

I have tried recording down to 1' and 1 degree increments. It still moves in the "sliced" effect. But it's not as bad. I just want to know if this is normal. I expected "jerkiness" to just be a jump from one frame to the next. But this is like the top moves then the middle then the bottom. Not the same chunks of images each time though.

Maybe it's just real obvious in what I am doing. It is a simpel rectangular room with art hanging on the walls. It's an art show I have where I put my paintings as textures on slabs hung on the walls. That seemed like a great way to preview my art show and arrange the paintings. Since I had it done already I thought I would do a walkthrough and post it on my website. But I'm dissapointed with the results.

It may also help to play it in "Fast Forward" out of Windows Media Player" that seems to reduce the jerkiness some for me, but it shortens the duration substantially
    www.van-con.com