Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can I make ^$&*#^ automatic "LIVING AREA" never, ever, appear?

I have "living area" turned off every place I can find it, and it still comes back. The words "LIVING AREA" come back with out the living area numbers. This is getting to be seriously annoying. I just had to reprint 3 sheets, two copies of each, because it appeared right under some dimensions.

I suppose, the fact that I had to reprint those three sheets earlier this morning because a wall decided to move itself isn't helping my attitude either.

Dermot, et. al. - this is the "living area" virus. I want the vaccination for it. It is a bug, and a very irritating one. It has to be fixed before version 11. A patch yet this morning wouldn't be to soon - yesterday would have been even better.

I am perfectly happy if the automatic living area goes away forever as long as the text macro is available so I can put "it" when and where I want it.

Did I mention this is really annoying?

I can see why Wendy goes" 4 year old" on this subject. Maybe I should too?

Mumble, grump, ratazafrak!

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

Fitch,

Have you dble clicked on the Select Arrow tool for Plan Defaults? If not, uncheck "Show Living Area", this should remove it. Don't know how permanent though. BTW, Congratulations on your new home.
    Cliff
    X6

Vista Home Premium SP-2
    Gateway FX6800-01e
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
    7.00 GB RAM DDR 3........64-bit OS
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250/PCIe/SSE2 1024 MB Memory

Originally posted by ambrozac
    Fitch,

Have you dble clicked on the Select Arrow tool for Plan Defaults? If not, uncheck "Show Living Area", this should remove it. Don't know how permanent though. BTW, Congratulations on your new home.
    Yup. Been there, done that. Double clicked on Select Arrow, made sure it is unckecked, and it still comes back.

Your uncertainty about permanence is well founded - it's not very permanent! Although the box is unchecked when I look after the words reappear.

Thanks. We love it here.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

You have until you release the drawing to get it right, Mother Nature and the Customer have forever to see if you did. (By me, 1971. )

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled. Last sentence in the Feynman Appendix to the Challenger Report by R. Feynman

Never allow those who would substitute intimidation and guilt trips for knowledge and reason to influence your technical judgement. Me, 1993.

thank you abrozac, but please try again. lol

frwillia, I feel your pain, I was about to post this same topic, good thing I checked first.

I say we bombard the tech guys with emails on this, and tell them, that it was automatically generated by Cheif, and we can't seem to stop it, (the emails that is)
    -----------------------------
    No longer using Chief
    Now using Autodesk Arch desktop 2006
    Drater @
    Stock Development

Originally posted by Tico
    I say we bombard the tech guys with emails on this, and tell them, that it was automatically generated by Cheif, and we can't seem to stop it, (the emails that is)
    lol!

- jamon
    Jamon Holmgren
    ClearSight Design
    Chief Architect v. 10.08a...X1 will have to wait.

Yeah, not only won't it leave - it is consistantly WRONG. How hard can it be to program a toggle switch that keeps it from ever showing up?

How the about the opprtunity to place it on it's own layer, say #190 and never turn it on again?
    Take Care

Jim

I talked to CA tech last week about this bug. They said it is being worked... I am sure we will see a fix in the next patch.

I expressed the same frustrations you mentioned Fitch.

Fitch,
    check this out, since you have a copy of my plan, CA has continued to insert "deck" next to one of those living space text, delete it, it's still there, delete it again, it's still there, it takes about 5 or 6 deletes which means it has put 5 or 6 copies on top of itself, I have seen the same thing with the living space text, it will have numerous copies pasted on top of itself.
    Randy
    V10.06a

Originally posted by dreamhomes
    Fitch,
    check this out, since you have a copy of my plan, CA has continued to insert "deck" next to one of those living space text, delete it, it's still there, delete it again, it's still there, it takes about 5 or 6 deletes which means it has put 5 or 6 copies on top of itself, I have seen the same thing with the living space text, it will have numerous copies pasted on top of itself.
    Yes, the "DECK" label acts similar in many ways to the LIVING AREA virus. Deck's are very common here, the last 12 houses I've done have had decks on them - two of them in work right now. This needs to be fixed at the same time.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

There was a problem that was fixed in 10.06 that caused room labels to disappear as well as the occasional other text item. The side effect of this is that you may find duplicate room labels that came back when you moved to 10.06.

Living Area is a room label under the hood and so suffers from some of the same behavior.

This particular problem has been difficult to track down and I'm not convinced that all the issues were fixed. However, all the issues we know about have fixed that were integrated into 10.06.

If after removing all of the duplicate room names you see these problems persisting in 10.06 please subit a report to our support team with the steps required to reproduce the problem. Preferably this will be a simple from scratch plan, but if you can repro it in an existing plan that will work as well.

The duplicates that were added from previous updates of Chief cannot be automatically removed. You will still need to clean up plans that were createed prior to 10.06.
    Doug Park
    Principal Software Architect
    Chief Architect, Inc.

Doug,

I'm getting duplicates of "LIVING AEREA" and "DECK", no numbers with them, just the labels, in plans created from scratch in 10.06a.

In other plans, created originally in 10.x, the living area label comes back like the label that can't be killed. There is no number with it, just the words "LIVING AREA".

I can't tell you what action I've done just before they appear. Suddenly I see them, but I don't know if they have been there a while, or just appeared. Usually I see them first in a layout view, sometimes before I print it ... sometimes in the plan view under the automatic dimensions.

If its any help, usually the labels appear under the automatic dimensions.

I'll try to see what it is that causes them.

The good news is that the "ghost rooms" seem to show up a lot less in 10.06 and 10.06a.

Fitch
    X2 <latest>

Originally posted by frwillia

The good news is that the "ghost rooms" seem to show up a lot less in 10.06 and 10.06a.

Fitch
    well, I had the same problem, but

I have GREAT NEWS!!!

I saved a bunch of money by switching to GEICO!

lol, sorry guys, coudln't resist.

ok, back on topic.
    No longer using Chief
    Now using Autodesk Arch desktop 2006
    Drater @
    Stock Development

Same problem. "Deck" is appearing in bedrooms, halls, living rooms, etc. and "living area" is showing up under the dimensions all the time. LET ME TURN OFF ALL AUTOMATIC LABELING!

One option may be to switch the desired room labels to a new layer & turn off the official room label layer once final room layout is done. Shouldn't need to find workarounds for something like this, though.

Attic walls appearing in odd places is also a problem sometimes, but that's a different rant for another time.

To all who are concerned about the Living Area label:

I simply changed the room label layer to match my background color, and type in room labels.
    Dwight