cad layers /colors Q&A

I am trying to understand the limits of cad layering and how they are intended to be used. Any answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Q#1 Can any of the following items be assigned to individual layers other than the default layers in show items? Cabinets, furinture, fixtures, doors, windows, electricial, seperate roof sections,( to show the home with different roof profiles),
    interior walls(for options in room size and layout) Q#2 why does "opaque glass from outside" set in 3-D preferences, change from the default gray to a color asinged to a soffett material and how can this be prevented. Q#3 why do furinture items & counter tops change color in the same way?

[This message has been edited by dugnello (edited 04 December 1999).]

1. No. Hopefully in upcoming versions as we've been told that there are changes coming to the layering system - but we don't know what the changes will be, so keep your fingers crossed.

2. and 3. The default colors for items are set via the "Default Colors" option under the menu item "3D". Soffits will always come into the plan at the color set in the first color box, "Walls". If you change any of these colors, or redefine a color, everything else in the plan which has that color assigned to it will change accordingly.

So.. I have been trying to do somthing that can not be done at this time, That would explain my inability to achieve the desired results. It would be nice if we could build altertinative roof and wall configurations within a given plan and assign the variations to layers insted of needing a new plan and file for each version of a given floor plan. It sure would speed up the process of presenting options to the client.

Colors.. Thanks for the several replys to this and previous questions about color seperation. I think I now understand the rules governing seperation and realize I need to pay more attention to defults and the correct use of layers.

Chief Talk is an invaluable format for helping users to understand the finer points
    of the program, wish I had started droping in 2yrs ago when I went from 3-D Delux to Cheif 97. Thanks again. Doug Marinello

[This message has been edited by dugnello (edited 04 December 1999).]

With respect to alternate roof configurations I think you're better off, thanks to Chief's MDI (Multiple Document Interface, meaning its ability to display more than one file at a time), saving the first plan under a new name and using the second file to input the new roof configuration. That way you can actually look at both - and edit both - at the same time.

Jay, you are right, asking for more than one roof system for a given plan is probably unnecessary and I do use several plan files for the vairations. I had a situation where the person was interested in their options for a covered front porch and rear deck and thought using layers would be an easy way to do it. I find myself with many variations of a basic plan, exterior materials, roof systems, windows, ect and am looking for ways to simplify and clairify my files. I am using a printed elivation, given a number and stored in a binder. It seems to work well and allows short file names.

I want to know if anyone else is having this problem... Had a plan in Chief 6.0 saved as 7.0. In the 7.0 plan I cannot turn the walls to a different color (like gray for a framing plan) in the viewport for the layout, even in the plan file. I can duplicate the layer call it framing and then when I go back to the layout the viewport does not change. What's up???

------------------
    Rick J. Lee
    RJL Design
    www.RJL-Design.com
    Thor2002@MSN.com

I found a fix!! I do not know why those layer sets were not working in the one plan so I imported a layer set from another plan I knew was working, into that plan. It worked!! I can now make my framing drawings with light walls, door etc with dark roof & ceiling framing.

Doug

As an additional comment on soffits, you can assign them to different layers. This enables you to have distinctive colours, line types and weights for diffrent items being represented by the soffits. You set the desired attributes in SHOW ITEMS, and change soffit specifications in OPEN ITEM (there, now you know how to **** eggs too!)

Regards
    Geoff Francis
    Perth Western Australia