How To Attach Pictures to ChiefTalk Posts

It is sometimes helpful to attach a picture to a post to help explain a problem you are having. This is a relatively easy thing to do but can be confusing for people who have never done this before.

To attach a picture to a post directly, the file size of the picture must be less than 100 KB. You should use a compressed file format, such as JPG or PNG, to keep the file size of your picture small. If your picture is still larger than the 100 KB limit, you can resize it or crop it in a "paint" type program such as Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro.

If you are trying to create a picture directly from Chief Architect, there are 2 methods that can be used. First, you can use the File>Export>Picture tool to create a picture file from any Chief Architect window. This will create an image that is the exact same size as the current window. If you would like to create a smaller picture, you can always resize your window to a smaller size. The second method involves using some built in tools in Windows. If you want to capture anything that is currently on you computer screen (not just what is being drawn in the current Chief Architect window), just hit the "Print Scrn" button that you should find somewhere on the upper right of your computer keyboard. This tool will make a copy of your current screen and put it in the Windows clipboard. You can create an image file by first opening a paint type program and use the paste tool (or control-V) to copy the clipboard into a new image. Crop, resize, and then save the image using a compressed file format.

Make sure you know where your picture file is stored on your machine before making your post. When creating a new post or replying to an existing one you should see an option near the bottom called "Attach File". Next to it is a "Browse" button that will allow you to select the file you would like to attach to your post. As long as your file is less then the 100 KB limit, it should then show up in your post.

If you have an image that is larger then 100 KB that you need to show in a post, you can always post the image file on another web site and then provide a link to it in your post. There are many file sharing web sites available that will allow you to post files that are larger than the 100 KB limit on this site. Once you have a file posted somewhere that is publicly accessible you can add the link into your ChiefTalk post. There are two ways to do this. The first is to simply paste the web address directly into your post. The second is to use the image insert button ("IMG"), to include the web address. When you click on the IMG button, it will include html "tags" that will tell the ChiefTalk forum that this is an image rather then a hyperlink.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

pic.

very good dermot
    Last edited by HARRYBSTANFIELDJR; 07-13-2007 at 07:51 PM.
    HARRY B STANFIELD JR
    101 alvin st.
    walterboro,sc 29488
    S&B REMODELING
    843-549-2674
    843-908-1143--MOBILE
    harrythebuilder@yahoo.com
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b335/HARRYBSTANFIELDJR/
    VER: 10.08A

I'm getting a "drawing failed" error.

Is anyone else having trouble ?

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

I downloaded it and got a blank bitmap.
    Jason McQueen

mcqueenj1977 @yahoo.com --- PO Box 248, Bovey MN 55709
    CA X1 -&- Artlantis Studio

it looks to be mostly black...here are a couple of reasons to use a png or jpg rather than the bmp file type ....

smaller file size...

they can be viewed directly in the browser, no need for a separate download...

also using extra . (dots) in a file name is not good practice as it may confuse some programs as the program looks at this being the defining point for the file extension (type)

here is what i downloaded it is 3 kb vs. 80kb, when converted to a png file
    Last edited by Tim O'Donnell; 02-02-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Persian Rug

Thanks Dermot. Seeing that rug in your post reminded me of a question I had recently. How do you get that rug at the size shown. I placed one in a plan recently and it went from wall to wall and I wasn't able to figure out how to resize it short of building a room withing a room and making the walls invisible. There has got to be a way to do this with a DBx but I wasn't able to discover one to do this.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curtis,

Just use a polyline solid. Adjust to size needed. Assign that polyline a rug texture.

Tommy

Or just place it from the library...

Furnishings (Interior)>Interior Accessories>Cushions & Rugs>Rectangular Rug

It won't show the texture in the library browser but it should look good once you do a render view.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Rug Size

Thanks Tommy & Dermot: I will give both a try again and see what happens.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Rugs

Thanks again Tommy & Dermot - both ways worked perfect.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Picture Reducing program

Here is a very easy Program that reduces pictures for you and its Free.

Once the program is installed all you do is select any picture file right click the mouse you will see the Resize Picture option. Thats it. Great for emailing also !
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Rickt1962; 10-10-2005 at 12:27 PM.
    You can Find me on http://www.facebook.com/RickThomas100
    Thank GOD for Avatars ! So ugly people can hide behind them ! LOL
    Computer User since Atari 400
    AutoCad 9.0 to 2012 till Chief Came along.
    Chief User Since Version 4.0
    Building New Homes for 35 years.
    Don't let anybody fool you ! A home builder with CAD under his belt that actually uses a hammer and computer will run circles around the Desk jockey's playing with their mouse.

shine

Dermot,
    How do you get the floor and metal objects so shiny?
    ghassan

You need to do a raytrace. Open the object, floor, or whatever. Click on material tab. Click on plan material. Click edit. Click raytrace tab. Click preview. Move slider so it reflects as you like. Click ok. BTW, mirrors will reflect perfectly too. V10.

Tommy

think small

I find that if I produce a picture in chief, say a raytrace, So long as I reduce the size of the working window a little, by say making it square, the resulting saved JPEG, is usually below the 100 Kb limit
    Your privacy is important to us, your personal details will handled discreetly, and will not be shared with anyone except the CIA, FSB, MI6 or similar, then they will be placed on a USB stick and left on a bus.

Here is a raytrace I just finished. It is not reduced in image size or print size (12.639"x7.694"). I just reduce the file size in Photoshop. It's about 86kb. I can bring this same image down to 24kb. if needed.

Tommy
    Attached Images Attached Images