Fireplace Chimney

How does one prevent a pair of parallel 2 x 6 framing members, at the top of the fireplace chimney, from appearing on a 3D Full Overview. This occurs only when I've selected a "Display Only Framing in the 3D Preferences dbx (never in a regular 3D Overview). The view shows 2 pieces of lumber where the top of the chimney would be, and they appear to be parallel and their lengths appear to be equal to the width of the fireplace. They just appear in mid-air and cannot be removed unless I edit them out in the Layout.

Thanks for the help.

------------------
    Al Launier
    Dolphinall@AOL.com
    Bedford, NH

Al;

Perhaps you can locate those offending framing members in plan view, select and then delete them. You should be good to go, until the next time you build this framing.

------------------
    Dan Marrin
    Lake Shore, MN

Dan,

Thanks for the response,but I've spent "days" looking for an offender, and I can't find anything, even using the eliminate and see approach to test everything I can think of. I suspect this is a glich that I picked up when upgrading from Chief 97 to CA 6.01. If there is anything in the set-up, or anything else, I'd be glad to try it. I can simply create a 4 walled house, build the roof, frame walls and roof (don't need to frame floors or ceiling), build a fireplace and set it to a height that will clear the roof. Then showing a 3D overview of the framing only will produce these pieces of lumber. Somehow, I think it is related to the building of the walls. It does not show up in normal 3D overview. ?????

------------------
    Al Launier
    Dolphinall@AOL.com
    Bedford, NH

I assume you have you tried opening wall framing details and see if there there to delete from them

Maurice

------------------

Thank You Maurice,

Sometimes the most obvious is the least considered. As usual, your experience and common sense approach to solving problems has saved the day. I can't believe how much time I wasted on this before.

Thanks again,
    Al

That's ok Al, all of us including myself miss the obvious, we get so used to working around complicated problems, when a simple answer comes up we miss it totally.

Maurice

------------------

Despite having found a way to delete these pieces of lumber with the help of Maurice, I'm still curious as to why they are created in the first place. All that is required to produce this effect, is to create a fireplace and then frame the walls. Then going into the "framing only" 3D overview, or into a section view, these pieces appear just above the top of the fireplace chimney, are parallel to each other and seem to have the same size dimensions as the headers, depending on the settings for these headers.
    Looking at this further, these members do, in fact appear to be headers framed over the fireplace when the walls are framed. These headers appear whether the fireplace is 4' high (initial default setting) or 30' high. I think this is a flaw in the software since I can't think of a reason why anyone would want a fireplace with a header over it, since fireplaces extend above the roof line. (Perhaps if I set the header sizes small enough appropriately, I can use these headers as kindling and create a self-starting fireplace.) Still, it's a pain to have to delete these.
    I wonder if ART knows of a way to set "any" defaults in the profile plan to avoid this nuisance.

Al