Thread: Need help

Hybrid View

Need help

I am working on a project and ive just built the terrain and now when i do a full camera veiw or render view i get a error message saying that chief 70 has caused an error in chief70.exe and chief70 will now close and it does so i am un able to do any views , am user the new patch can some one help me with this problem as i am over do with submitting this project and it is frustrating me also this file has only be made in chief 7

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    How much Ram do you have and what operating system? The terrain could be overloading your resources.

If you turn off terrain in 3d preferences does it still crash?

Mark,
    because you are over due with the project, I recommend that you send the file with an explanation to Tech Support asap.
    Do tell them it's urgent.
    I am sure they will look into it straight away, they are the best.
    Do tell them what system you are using etc., all bits help.
    Regards, Jan

------------------

Remove the terrain and use Poly line CAD boxes for the terrain (either 2-D or 3-D depending on the type of view) and then edit on layout to get the job done. You might also try reducing "Smoothing" and use larger terrain "Triangles" and use no texture or pattern in the terrain to reduce the "3-D faces and line-entities" count to save the use of your terrain. You might try for your 3-D exteriors, turning off "Interior" in 3-D preffrences.

In any case do what you must to get your product out.

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Chief Architect™Consultant, Beta Tester, Designer
    1801 Wells Branch Parkway #2013
    Austin, Texas 78728
    dpotter1@austin.rr.com
    512-251-3982
    305-425-5794 FAX http://members.spree.com/djpotter

[This message has been edited by David Jefferson. Potter (edited 27 March 2001).]

I tried what you said marty an it did not help also ive sent in a request for support from chief to see if they can help me and thanks for your help , if any has any suggestions in the meen time i would apriciate it more details about what i was upto at the time i was in the middle building terrain i have drawn this plan i version and the problem in version 7 so i redrew it complete in version 7 to solve the problem but this didnot help as i thought it might be having trouble reding ver 6 plan , i think that there something about this plan that seems to be causing the crash as my other plans seem to be working fine the system i am using is win98me i have 256meg of ram and i have 32 meg video card with open gl capabiltys and 466 celeron chip i think it should be able to handle it

David thanks for your help it turns out that it was the terrain smoothing making it crash does this mean that i do not have enough video ram normal ram or cpu is to small , the project is a small 1 bedroom cottage with 2 verandahs and a carport total building m2 is 120m2 the terrain site is 10'625m2 what do you people think it is that i am lacking

Well i am still in trouble ive deleted the terrian all together and it still crashes when i try a full camera view what is wrong here

Mark,
    To really find out a person needs the file and who better to help then ART's support.
    You mentioned that you asked for their help, I do hope you included the necesary files for them to look at.
    I hope they fix it soon for you, it can be just something small that causes this.
    Keep in touch, Jan

------------------
    Jan Bruinsma
    Building Designer Extraordinaire

marty is offline Registered User Promoted
    I see you are using WME - that could be your problem. I have ME and it ***** resources out of the system like water down a drain.

Find System Tools and run the Resource meter. I have it running all the time now and you can see when you need to close Chief down and restart.

I was running into plotting problems on the same type of files and would send files to Chief Support --- they could print them with no problem. So I had 'puter checked. If you are using Windows 98 - there are some dicey corruptions in the ACTIVE X file that occurs when Windows crashes. Try deleting Windows 98 from your hard disk and reinstalling with a genuine Windows 98 disk.

Then... I boosted CPU memory from 64 mb to 192 mb for under $100 at local puter shop and added a 40 gig Fujitsu hard drive for $279.

Moral to story --- clean windows start plus higher horsepower solveth a multitude of problems insideth 24 hours.

------------------

What have you set your building pad height as, some of us found if you tried to set it to high (Aus data height values approx 100m) it created problems, so I usualy adjust and keep it under 10m

Maurice

------------------

Mark,
    Please send me the files and I will see if I can find the offending item. it is always something, some small detail that is amiss. to really find it one would make a copy of the offending plan files to take apart, piece by piece, trying each time something is deleted to get the render done. When it stops crashing you know the deleted part, just deleted, is the culprit.
    Send me the files or not at your pleasure but do take the model apart after copying it to find the problem.

Sincerely

------------------
    David J. Potter
    Chief Architect™Consultant, Beta Tester, Designer
    1801 Wells Branch Parkway #2013
    Austin, Texas 78728
    dpotter1@austin.rr.com
    512-251-3982
    305-425-5794 FAX http://members.spree.com/djpotter