automatic layout page numbering

OK all I figured out how to number all my layout pages automaticlly from page 0. But let say I call them A-%insert, I then get all layout pages with A-1 to 1000. That's cool. But how do I change page A-30 to now have S-1, then S-2, etc.....
    Must I do it manually at this point??

Tried that, but it's not working because all the layout pages are spec'ed at page Zero and can't be changed because there locked. Or an I missing something

It would be nice to set up a code on page 0 that will continue, say pages A1 through A30 then switch to S1 through S10 and then throw in an E1 for good measure at the end - all entered and coded in page zero of a single layout file.

Is this possible? If so, how?

If not how do you all switch up your letter/numbering?

thanks
    Last edited by sbok5150; 07-27-2005 at 01:26 PM.

I guess you could insert a solid text box that could be placed over the automatically placed numbers. Requires manual placement for all pages that are different than the page zero letter but may be easier than all manual number placement.
    The purpose of Government is to control the common resources, not the common man.

Larry Hawes
    Hawes Home Design
    Vista, CA
    Hawes Home Design

X5 and X6 Public Beta 3
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    Motherboard EVGA Classified SR-2
    Processors (2) 6 core Xeon L5640
    Memory 24GB PNY DDR3 1600
    Video EVGA GTX 780
    Monitor 26" LG 1920 x 1200
    21" Viewsonic

Originally posted by sbok5150
    If not how do all switch up your letter/numbering?
    I don't.

I know some do, so using CA they have to put the page number on each page. In my opinion that is more work that its worth so I set them up to start with "1" and proceed in the positive direction in integer increments. On page zero of the layout set I write in the total number of pages so the page number box in the title bar reads Page <% number> of <total pages>. That way one knows if there is a page missing off the back of the pile. I also usually put an indes of sheets on the first page so folks know where to look for what they are interested in.

I'm not sure what the logic behind the alpha numeric drawing numbering system is, or what benefit it confers over and above simple page numbering. I suppose someone will explain it to me. If you do, thanks.

Fitch

Yeah Fitch I don't get the real benefit of A1 or S1 etc. it just seems to be standard. I'll think about just a simple numbering system 1 through ??, that's works great with the automatic system in Chief.

One reason that I put a letter in front of the number is so that if the contractor is going over the prints with one of his subs lets say the electrican or machanical guy all he has to do is thumb through the bottom of the page title block and when he gets to E-1 or M-1 he is where he wants to be for that sub and does not have to go through each page. Also what I have is a default layout sheet with the sheets numbered already this saves me from doing it over each time and if i need and extra page for anything I can just move the text and add a new one.
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Originally posted by Raymond Rood
    .... what I have is a default layout sheet with the sheets numbered already this saves me from doing it over each time and if i need and extra page for anything I can just move the text and add a new one.
    I do the same, and in v10 this is easier than ever as you can insert or delete a layout page in a set wherever you want...the new sheet inserts in front of the selected page

Thanks for all the tips all ill put em to good use.

Thank you Sean