Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frank,
    A view port in the layout must be selected in order for this tool to become available to use.

..or if you want to do the whole file go to tools/ layout/ layout files and browse to the plan you want it llinked to.

Originally posted by Tommy Blair
    Frank,

The layouts will update. Look at the box when you close an elevation camera.

Now I'm confused. When an elevation is sent to layout, I cannot get the elevation to automatically update (in the LAYOUT BOX) for the life of me. Yes, it updates, but I have to open the camera, and tell it to "OK" to update the layout. Is there another setting that I'm missing for elevation/cross section views? (Relink doesn't work for elevation tools either)
    Tim Schrock
    Design Build Solutions, LLC.

I enjoy working in Chief Architect. Made the switch to X5 and am enjoying the upgrades. Home-brewed computer...things are running swell!

Tim,

For updating elevation views, I believe you're correct. I don't ever use the relink tool so no help from me on that subject. After briefly reading about the relink tool, it looks to me that you could really mess things up if you don't understand how to use that tool pretty well.

Tommy

This particuar client doesn't want me to use dwg

But usually I would do a couple of cross sentions at least and then clean them up and send them to layout. The main reason I do that is I have never found an evevation in CA that actually alies to my situation. But the olny way I have ever been able to properly link them is to a new file name is to create another dwg folder to goes in the folder I put each plan file in.

The reason I start a layout before I have my plans are done is basically to remind myself of what I am missing and to compair elevations. For instance, if you set your window defaults for the top of your windows to have grids, but you don't want every window to have grids, that sort of thing.

I do want to know something else about materials and textures but I am going to do that on another post.

Thanks guys. Frank

Frank,

Sounds like a plan check list would be helpful. Have you looked at the project browser in 10? I think the project browser would be helpful in keeping track of what is in your plan.

That's right

I have foregotten about that tool, and I am guessing because I usually do remodeling. But very good point, am a going to start using that again. Frank

Frank,

One last note. I'm still not real clear on why you want to do the layouts before you finish the plan. I think I understand that the layouts help you see certain things but if you think about it, layouts constist of what ever you sent to the layout from either a plan, cad detail, elevation or importing a pixel image basically. All but the last can be seen from the plan ie elevations, cad details etc.. It seems like there is time wasted by starting the layouts when things change, especially if they change alot. If they change alot, just make a new plan file name and save it as a different plan. Sometimes I have 2 to 4 different plan files for a job depending on what they want to do. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Tommy

I agree Tommy

But I am just learning this layer deal, with help from Louis. But as it would be, as long as the plans are you your computer all you have to do is click on any picture, whether it be a camera shot or a dwg or a floor plan and it opens. Now if you have made any changes in plan view all you have to do is click on that picture if you will and it will open, then click it off and click OK, it will update any changes. Where it get's tricky is if you have a number of different names for the same layout. It's no problem if you are doing the printing, but if you send someone your layout you have to send every camera veiw and every dwg and every floor plan or when they open it, file and pictures will be missing. This onlt applies to other CA users, using the same version. Just too complicated to think about, but I do understand.
    Next question? Frank