Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qusetion of the Day

LAYOUT. Now is there a way to get an elevation shot that is in layout to automatically update when you make changes to the plans in plan view?

Then for that matter how about the reverse is there any way to keep layout files from changing when you don't want them to update? Like say you have already a foundation and first and second floors plans on layout and you want to show framing and you click it on in plan view and send it to layout and then you notice that all your other plans in layout now show framing. How do you stop that from happening? I started making them dwg and then impoting them and sending to layout, but if there are any changes that's a lot more work. In an effort not to do all that sort of thing, what is the best way to achieve?

Frank,

The layouts will update. Look at the box when you close an elevation camera.

As far as the other stuff goes. Finish the plan completely. Then use layer sets for site plan, floor plan, framing, electrical, etc. and put whatever you want to show in that layer set. Use the layer sets when sending to layout and you will not have that problem

Tommy

Been there.
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-21-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks Tommy

I was able to get elevations to update by clicking on then in layout and they would open with the changes, then I cicked them off and they ask if I want to save and I said yes and when if went back to layout the changes were there. Very cool. The layerset, I have seen then but I am not sure of their function yet, except when I click on them they open that page but then so do a couple of other ways. I guess I might have to open the book. LOL
    Frank

Frank,

Give me a few minutes before you start the book thing which really messes me up. I will post a picture and a brief description on what to do. Maybe it will save you some time.

Tommy

Click at the top where it says "Copy set..." and rename. Rename it to whatever you want to call that layer set. Click okay. Now you have a new layer set that you can use. Turn on and off the layers for that set you want and don't want to show. Create separate layer sets to show what you want. When sending to layout. Use those layer sets (open each layer set to send a view to layout) to send to layout. The problem you're having is because you're sending everthing to layout using the default layer set only. On another note, if you want to put something on a different layer, just click "Add.." at the bottom to create a new layer for that set and put whatever you want on that layer. Once you use the layers and layer sets, you can't live without them. (V10)

CAUTION: I would not edit the plan structurally except in default set. When altering the plan, be sure what layer set you're in.

Hope this helps,

Tommy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-21-2005 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Tommy

Louis did a little training session with me today and I think I have got it.

Great! I hope I didn't steer you wrong.

Tommy

Yes, I'm teaching Frank how to put his plans together really quickly and efficiently.

Here's a Louis Question

All plans that you send to layout are associated to that plan file as well as all elevations. One they are in layout and you modify the original plan the layout files will up date, ok, I got that. But when you send a plan file back and forth to another CA user and say you call it todays date. You have basically now changed the the plan file name. Next time you dbl cick on the layout view it opens up the old named file, my question is how do you keep everything under the correct name so that all files associated to the new plan file. Does that make any sence? Frank

Frank,

Do you keep making changes to the plan back and forth to another user? If so, then why not just hold off on making the layout sheets until you have the plan right? Does that make any sense? Maybe it's just me, but I don't do my layout sheets until the plan is approved by client, engineer, etc..or at least the client. This would eliminate alot of the layout changes. This is only a suggestion.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-22-2005 at 11:52 AM.

Frank,

I would try to do what Tommy is sugesting. Get your plan done first. There is a tool in Chief that allows you to re-link a layout to any file.

Realy What is it?

Come on Louis, cough it up, what's the tool? Frank

It's the relink tool and it's in the layout.

Sorry Louis

What is it called or what does it look like because I think I have tried all the buttons. Frank

Tools>Layout>Relink (in 9, probably the same in 10)

Ben Palmer
    arizona custom home design
    www.palmerhomedesign.com

follow us on facebook