Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody

Thank you for your help Louis!!! I think that this is something important to know. I'm understanding it much better now.

Tommy

Louis/Tommy:

Please post the solution if you can. I too, would like to make sure I know how.

Thanks.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

My last question for now. I was trying to copy/paste the plot plan from the cad detail to plan. The plot plan (bearing polyline), pasted okay in plan but not the north arrow. I tried 4 different ways to get the north arrow to copy/paste but it won't. Any tricks to doing this? The only way I thought I had it was to shift and select the polyline and north arrow>block>copy/paste to plan. Once again, only the polyline made the transfer.

Thanks for any help,

Tommy

You create the plot plan in CAD detail including the north arrow - then send the plot plan to layout when you are printing (plotting) your construction documents. If you want the north arrow to display next to your floor plan you should be able to do that as well. Keep plugging - you'll get it.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Tommy: If you are just working in the plan, all you need to do is go to CAD mode, click on the North Arrow tool, drag in the direction you want it to go, select it and change the angle to what you need if it does not display properly the way you drew it. Bingo - you should have it. Hope that helps.
    Curt Johnson

X5

Puget Systems Custom Computer, Win 7 Pro 64-bit SP1, 3.3Ghz Intel Core i5 2500K Quad, 8 GB Kingston DDR3-1333 Ram, Intel X25-M 80 GB SSD App Drive, WD 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 6 Gb/s Data Drive, EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024MB VC, Antec 650W PS, Asus p8P67 Pro REV 3.0 Motherboard

Curtis,

I know about doing this in plan view with cad mode, which is probaly they way I will be doing it in the future for my needs. I'm trying to work from the tutorial plot plan. Once a north pointer has been placed, I don't think you can add another north pointer to the same plan (In plan view), and once you have your north pointer in place along with the bearing lines (closed polyline), I don't think that you want to change the direction of the north pointer because it will effect the bearing lines. Anyway, that is not what I'm trying to do, I want to copy/paste the plot plan (bearing lines) AND NORTH POINTER from cad detail to plan. As mention earlier, I tried 4 different ways of doing this but I can't get the north pointer to go to plan view with bearing lines....only the bearing lines copy/paste. I know I can send it to layout but that's not what I'm trying to do. I will try to do this again later. Oh yea, right now, I'm doing this in v9.54. I'm waiting to get this down a little better in v9 before trying anyhing in v10. There is probably something simple that I'm missing as usual.

I probably should say that the plot plan in the cad detail has been rotated without changing any original bearing numbers, but I don't think that it should have anything to do with the copy/paste to plan view.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-19-2005 at 09:53 AM.

Lew,

By looking at the plan files you sent, it looks like it was from V10 right?

Tommy

Tommy,

A North Arrow is not similar to other CAD entities. If you place one, you can't just copy it.
    Richard
    ---------------
    Richard Morrison
    Architect-Interior Designer
    X6 Premier, Win8 64
    http://www.richardmorrison.com

Well gang,

I don't mean to be a pest about this. I will eventually give up and assume (hate that word) that it can't be done. I was just trying to work from the tutorial method. I guess that this would all be much easier just doing it in plan view using cad tools.

Tommy

Richard, thanks for answering the question. I wish you were wrong but I think you're right.
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-19-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Tommy,

Have you noticed that when you select the north arrow,copy and paste is not one of the editing tools you can use on it.

Yes Louis,

That was one of the 4 things I tried to do. I actually posted a picture showing that for Richard but after reading his post better, he said that it can't be done. I thought he said it could be done. I deleted the post.

Tommy
    Last edited by Tommy Blair; 07-19-2005 at 12:43 PM.

Tommy:

Yes, it was ver 10.

I think it could be done in ver 9.54 the same way except for the text box hyperlinks.

Lew
    Lew Buttery
    Castle Golden Design - "We make dreams visible"

Lockport, NY
    716-434-5051
    www.castlegoldendesign.com
    lbuttery at castlegoldendesign.com

CHIEF X5 (started with v9.5)

Louis if you could when you get time maybe do a tutorial on doing a plot plan I can't find it on the v-10 training videos. Thanks
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6

Ray,

I will do one. Chief 10 has changed some things. I have been communicating with Dermot and we figured out that there was a feature in Chief that was broken in 9.5 but now it is fixed in 10 and it is confusing some of the users.

Are you one of the users confused by the way 10 works?

The other thing is. I used to do plot plans the way that Mike does them in the older videos. Now that I do plans all the time I do the site plan a completely different way.
    Last edited by louis; 07-28-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Louis thanks for the reply looking forward for your video since in the past when you did a video it was very easy to understand. Not sure why they would of left this out to the training video's for ver 10.
    Ray
    Residential Design Services, Inc.
    RRGC@AOL.COM
    Chief user V2 To X6