Library object auto updates.

OK, I've been at this for while, but I can't figure out library hot-linking.

1. Is there any way to make a library object (say a window), then put that object in multiple places in the plan, then update the object spec. in the library and have all of the objects in the plan auto-update?

2. Are there ways to create a library object specific to a plan, but not permanent to the library?

3. When selecting an object, there is a replace from library button. But I can't get it to work on a group selection of more than 1 object at a time? any ideas?

1. Not that I'm aware of. I think this sort of answers your second question of being plan specific if I'm understanding correctly. However, you can add a window from the Library, select it, (or change one of the original windows to your specs) click on the Select Same Type tool (edit toolbar) and choose the attributes you want to make the same and apply to all the other windows. It will not update the Library.

2. Changes made to Library Objects outside of the Library will not be added automatically back to the Library and will be plan specific.

3. I don't believe it works with group selection. If you select one object, the Replace Library Object will give you a choice to replace identical items however.

Cliff
    Last edited by ambrozac; 06-20-2005 at 08:47 PM.

1. darn

2. double darn

3. Triple darn

How about a repeat transform command, have I missed that somewhere?

Hey, don't give up hope yet. There may be a better answer coming. If not, you may be on to something. Post it under Suggestions.

Cliff

Sorry, I'm not aware of a repeat transform command, just the Copy/Paste Tool.
    Last edited by ambrozac; 06-20-2005 at 09:03 PM.

1. Is there any way to make a library object (say a window), then put that object in multiple places in the plan, then update the object spec. in the library and have all of the objects in the plan auto-update?

Yes. You can use the replace from library tool to update all of your windows in your plan with a new or modified one from the library. You may also want to explore how Chief uses dynamic defaults for architectural objects such as windows. If you windows are set to use your window defaults, you can modify the defaults and dynamicaly update all of your windows in your plan.

2. Are there ways to create a library object specific to a plan, but not permanent to the library?

I'm not sure what you are asking because depending on how I interpret your question, I can answer yes or no. No, because a "library object" in Chief is any object that is permanently stored in the library. Any object that you create in a plan is by definition not a library object. Yes, because any object that can be stored in the library can be created in a specific plan and not stored in the library. You pretty much always create objects in plans first and then use the add to library feature to store them for reuse. When you place a library object in a plan, the program makes a copy of the library object that is now specific to the plan. The plan object can be modifed without affecting the original library object.

3. When selecting an object, there is a replace from library button. But I can't get it to work on a group selection of more than 1 object at a time? any ideas?

The tool was not designed to work this way. You don't need to group select the objects first. When you use the the replace from library tool, you will get a prompt asking you if you want to replace the object only, all of the similar objects in the same room, or all of the similar objects on the same floor. To change multiple objects, there is no reason to group select them first.

4. How about a repeat transform command, have I missed that somewhere?

There is no repeat transform command.
    Dermot Dempsey
    Principal Software Engineer
    Chief Architect, Inc.
    http://www.ChiefArchitect.com
    http://www.HomeDesignerSoftware.com

Dermot,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess this is a wish list then.

1. Auto-updates from a library object are very useful.

2. A plan specfic library, a plan object browser, or clone from a master object in the plan is useful for #1.

3. I see your point. But I think CA needs more UI consistancy and less modal tool behavior, it is very confusing why basic tools are only sometimes there (as well as limiting). Update from library should work with multiple selects if it works with single selects, rotate/transform should work in elevation if it works in plan, etc.

4. Transform again would save so much time!